Wylex fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
My house has a Wylex fuse box with 6 fuse carriers (2 x 5 amp and 4 x 30 amp) - I'm looking to convert these to mini circuit breakers that just plug into the fue holder.

At the end of the line of fuses there is the fuse box switch and then a separately covered single fuse holder, that look different from the others. I figure this is a master fuse for the whole fuse box.... or is it.

Any help would be greatly appeciated.
Roy

Sponsored Links
roytom said:
Hi all,
My house has a Wylex fuse box with 6 fuse carriers (2 x 5 amp and 4 x 30 amp) - I'm looking to convert these to mini circuit breakers that just plug into the fue holder.

At the end of the line of fuses there is the fuse box switch and then a separately covered single fuse holder, that look different from the others. I figure this is a master fuse for the whole fuse box.... or is it.

Any help would be greatly appeciated.
Roy

its a 45A fuse holder for a cooker/shower. should be green. altho i think it can be changed for a lower rating. the only fuse protecting everytihng is the service fuse

Nijinski001 said:
I thought only Superman had X Ray vision?

Not quite, its because he has experience (like myself) and has'nt just done a 5 min traing course ;)

Sponsored Links
What's that supposed to mean?
Why have you signed in under a question mark?

Nijinski001 said:

its a popular type of board. ive seen hundreds. and on the type he has described, the fuse to the right is for cookers/showers. any good electrician will know this.

as for the question mark, i have no idea. youll find out if he returns

Andy
My comment wasn't aimed at you. I was naffed off at the guys implication that I had only taken a 5 minute training course. I may not be as experienced as a lot of guys on this forum but I have over 20 years of domestic wiring experience but have only just gone official this year with a level 2 DI certificate.

Regarding the Wylex 45a fuse I have also seen it used for other things such as external supplies to sheds etc. It may not be right but I've seen it never the less.

Cheers

Yes (on further investigation) the separate end fuse (with its own cover) - thats the lone fuse to the right of the switch, is a 45 amp rating and is exclusively for the electric oven/grill unit - nothing else.

The fuse carrier is slightly different from the others in that the connection pins are two spayled metal stips rather than the one thick pin only on the other fuse carriers. Does this mean that I cannot use a MCB in this fuse socket as the connections will not fit?

Also I think just a 30amp rated MCB would easily be enough as there is not an electric hob involved in this only the built in oven/grill.

Many thanks to all those who replied before.
Regards, Roy

With it being 45A it will most likely be a cartridge fuse, whereas the other fuses up to 30A may be rewirable fuses. There is no reason why you can't change it for a plug in circuit breaker. What is the Kw rating of the oven?

Nijinski001 said:

As Andy replied !
Why have you signed in as Nijinski001 ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back