Plug in MCB upgrade

JohnW2........... I think this is going from ok, to not so ok & now to worse! There is an earthing 'rod' in the corner (nearest the house) in our attached garage/workshop. I suspect you are going to tell me this is not good................but it does have a 'hat' on the top,......if that helps! :eek:
Don't panic, it's not a problem, and doesn't need changing (provided it, and connections/wiring to it, are satisfactory).

Without wishing to confuse you with technicalities, the reason I asked was that, if your earthing system is a local earth rod (what electricians call a 'TT' system), whilst an 'all RCBO' CU would be fine, there would be a potential problem with a 'not quite all' RCBO system.

You will probably find fairly polarised views about 'all RCBO' CUs. The one (probably only main) advantage they offer is that a fault causing a trip on one circuit should not affect any other circuit. However, there are also 'downsides' For example, RCBOs are much more expensive than standard breakers (MCBs). Also, they combine the functions of an MCB and an RCD in one unit but (except in very expensive ones) generally do not indicate which of those functions has caused a trip - which can frustrate fault-finding. Your electrician will undoubtedly have a view.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Well that's good to hear re the earthing.

In fact we did have the earthing tested when we had some extra sockets fitted and i recall it was ok.

I use a sparks that i use for our office work so I get him round. Like gas, electricity is not something i want to take chances with.

Our set up is clearly out of date but really has caused us no problems at all. If we hadn't had the faulty led i doubt i'd now be any wiser.

Many thanks to you all who have helped.....I appreciate!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back