Fitting mcb,s to existing fuse board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This has propably been answered somewhere but my fuse box has 1x wylex 40 amp mcb for shower and 2x30amp 2x15amp and 1x 5amp fuse holders that you pull out and has 2 vertical "pins at the rear to push into the box.I would like to replace these with mcb,s but the ones i have seen in local shops have horizontal pins if i buy wylex mcb,s are they a straight fit because i see they have some kind of carrier at the back or is it a wiring job.

Sponsored Links
wylex plug in mcbs come with a base

there are two base styles for each rating one was used for rewirables one was used for cartidge fuses. mcbs have been made with both styles of base

swapping the bases is pretty easy though they are just held in with a single screw

Might seem a daft question, but do the MCBs, bases and consumer unit have to be all the same make?

I believe I've got a Wylex CU with plug in cartridge fuse carriers, but can only find GE minitrips. These don't fit the existing bases. Will the GE minitrip bases simply replace the exisitong ones?

GE minitrips are specifically designed to fit wylex standard CUs

afaict they use the same style of base as the wylex rewirables so in a unit fditted with cartridges you will have to swap the bases

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:

afaict they use the same style of base as the wylex rewirables so in a unit fditted with cartridges you will have to swap the bases

That's news to me - I always thought MCB's and CU's must be the same make for safety reasons etc....

Mixing and Matching CU parts from different makers seems taboo, from what I read on this posting board etc.

With the old school wylex boards, I think mix and match is fine - they are simple plug in jobs, and many companies make models that fit.

Also, with regards dinrail MCB's, models that are no longer manufactured can be found as copies made from companies such as delta or deta. They are made to the same spec as the old kit.

kai said:
plugwash said:

That's news to me - I always thought MCB's and CU's must be the same make for safety reasons etc....

Mixing and Matching CU parts from different makers seems taboo, from what I read on this posting board etc.

GE minitrips actually say on the package they are for replacing wylex rewirables. Think of it as buying spare parts for your car that aren't made by your care manufacturer but are made specifically for your make and model of car.

with the din rail mount based CUs you have to be carefull about mixing brands as the busbar arangements vary. This doesn't mean its forbidden but it does mean you are responsible for making sure the assembly is a safe combination.

As with anything once you start to do things that are unusual it becomes up to you to make sure that your unusual installation doesn't compromise safety.

Must leap in and say my usual piece about Wylex boards that have a main switch rated at less than 100A (and if it does not say 100A, it isn't).

They should not be fitted with any breakers in excess of 32A. That's why the 40A Wylex breaker has a plastic tab on the rear of the shield. If your board is designed to take it, it will sit flush. If not, it sits at a silly angle. If this is the case, your board should be upgraded as it is inadequate for the load you want to place on it.

This all started with a bulb going, causing the 5A cartridge fuse to pop and a consequent shave and shower in the dark. Subsequent conversation with a neighbour revealed the existence of plug-in MCBs, which seemed like a great idea. I found the GE minitrips at toolstation, but, having got them, they won't just plug in, the contacts are further apart than the slits in the consumer unit where the fuse carriers go. The minitrip bases look like they should simply replace the existing ones, but I thought I'd ask here first, before buying something else that wouldn't fit....

Note no change to existing load< which is 2x30A, 1x20A, 1x5A, intended.

Hi I am a registered NICEIC electrician. This Question came up when we were doing a test and report on a dwelling. We called the NICEIC technical helpline for varification.

You cannot mix and match componants in Distribution boards. there is a section in The 17th Edition that covers it. Any company will not guarentee its product either if another product has been added that is not theirs. Even if another company has taken over the manufacture of product under a different name.

You will also find that in the event of any problems where an insurance claim has to be made in relation to your distribution board, the insurance company or the manufacture will not pay out if you have installed other manufacturers componants in it.

Just change the Board for piece of mind.

You cannot mix and match componants in Distribution boards. there is a section in The 17th Edition that covers it.
Which one?

Any company will not guarentee its product either if another product has been added that is not theirs. Even if another company has taken over the manufacture of product under a different name.
So are you claiming that a company like General Electric is lying when they say that you may use their MCBs in a Wylex board?

Just change the Board for piece of mind.
I expect that in the 4½ years since the OP asked the question he will have sorted something out...

So are you claiming that a company like General Electric is lying when they say that you may use their MCBs in a Wylex board?

GE are noy lying, but will Wylex accept responsibility if the fault is with their equipment CU?

Fitting other manufaturers breakers means that the assembly as a whole cannot be considered 'type approved'. In practice this just means that the combination of the board and suppliers cutout fuse can't be replied on to deal with the full fault current of (in theroy) 16kA.
However as well over 99% of domestic installations won't have a PFC anywhere near that, this is unlikely to be a problem.

It would mean that in the event of some failure of the board or components fitted to it, any manufaturers warranty would be void.
However for old Wylex boards, the subject of a manufacturers warranty is of no relevance, since any warranty probably expired decades ago.

Fitting plug in MCBs to old boards is a waste of time and money. They do not improve safety or offer any additional protection over fuses.
They are more convenient to reset when there is a fault, which could lead to persons fitting them as an attempt to resolve fuses blowing all the time. This will just cover up the real fault.

The characteristic of the (type B) minitrip is different to BS3036 rewireable fuses so a change of the CPD should be accompanied by (at least) a test of the EFLI.

The GE minitrip is designed to go into WYLEX boards so any comments re type approvals are invalid.

For this thread, as BAS has pointed out, its dated in December 2004 so I don't understand why bilsieb has unearthed it :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back