Can I remove these studs without affecting floor joist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I've got the week off work to do some under the stairs conversion and after ripping off the plasterboard I'm wondering if it's ok to remove the two marked studs below?

The area used to be a cupboard (door was on the right where there are no horizontals).

The upright marked in green doesn't appear to have anything resting on the top of it, and immediately to the right of it is a block wall.
The ones marked in orange look like there may be a beam directly above them (from what I can see with a torch!!)
So, i'm not sure if they are taking any load or not? - there is another stud wall slightly further to the left, and then another 1 mtr or so to the left there is another brick wall (front of the house).

I've managed to get one floorboard up in the hallway above (can't get them all up without destroying as they are nailed down so tight I'd have to drill the heads off!)
It looks like there are two beams bolted together (I'm guessing these are the main floor supports?) - the two uprights I plan to remove are only below the farthest back beam.

The dimensions of 1 beam are; 2" x 8" - the other one that's bolted to it looks to be about the same, but I can't easily access that one...

I've stopped working while I ponder what to do, so would appreciate if anyone can advise on if the studs are needed for any support.

-Edit- To clarify, I only want to remove the orange bits in the first photo - not the entire length.. (I'm not removing the newel post btw... that was just a bad choice of colour :)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
OK, I've been Googling this morning to try and find an answer as I'm eager to get cracking, I've found this table; http://www.home-extension.co.uk/tech2.html which seems to suggest that even with 600mm spacing(not sure of mine to took the widest) that the size of beams I have should easily be able to take the load within the span I'm looking at..

I'm not even convinced that the stud below is capable of taking any load, since its not exactly huge.. any thoughts?

The studs put up the sides of stairs don't usually perform any structural function; the two floor joists above bolted together are substantial enough. The newel post will be fixed to the side of the floor joist. The stairs themselves will be self-supporting (like a ladder at an angle).Just remove the studs as planned.

Incidentally, in the 2nd photo showing the tops of the 2 beams, someone has put the dog-tooth connector on the outside face; this should have been fitted between the timbers before they were bolted up, to bind them firmly together.It won't materially affect the strength in these circumstances, though.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your reply Tony.

That was my thinking too, but I wanted to get a second opinion before I destroyed the house :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back