Can i remove these beams?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my first post on the forum and i thought id get some advise from others on this little Q of mine.

What im looking at doing is removing two of the 45degree beams
and have them supported straight down under the original position like so
in the below photo

is this a simple just put in the new uprights first then remove the beams or..
is there another way i should be doing it?

Any advice i would be very gratful of

Simon

DSCF2344.jpg

Sponsored Links
The beams that you want to remove are struts which probably transfer the load from the purlin to a load bearing wall. The timber that you want to fix to is a binder which helps stop deflection in the ceiling joists, but shouldn't take any load from the roof. In my opinion you shouldn't remove the struts and replace them in this way but I am not a structural engineer.

hi stuart45

thank you for the info, have been thinking about this project for awhile now
so maybe a structural engineer would be the only way to find out for sure.

Simon

The beams that you want to remove are struts which probably transfer the load from the purlin to a load bearing wall. The timber that you want to fix to is a binder which helps stop deflection in the ceiling joists, but shouldn't take any load from the roof. In my opinion you shouldn't remove the struts and replace them in this way but I am not a structural engineer.

It might be possible to put in a raking strut which goes from the purlin and transfers the load to the party or gable wall. A carpenter or structural engineer is the best person to advise use. A raking strut would be in line with the purlin and give you some extra space for the track.

Sponsored Links
Unit - I'd leave the structure well alone. Then consider elevating the racing track to waist-height supported by your existing struts and some additional frames. My 'old man' did something like for my train-set when I was a lad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back