Advice on removing beam in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am considering whether it is possible or worth having 2 beams removed from my loft space to make a useable storage area. Initially I thought these beams were of no use as they don't seem to be taking any load and are fairly loose, but having read similar posts on here, it seems they are to stop the roof from spreading apart, which makes sense.

As there are several of these cross beams (see photos below), I was wondering whether just 2 could be safely removed, perhaps with some reinforcement elsewhere?

Any advice would be appreciated. Also, if anyone could tell me the technical term used to describe these beams that would be useful too so I can explain to any prospective builder what I am referring to :)

Thanks. Tim.

Sponsored Links
http://www.dbrg.org.uk/GLOSSARY/ROOF STRUCTURES.html

Hello. Please see the link above for some diagrams.

The beams appear to be tie beams : in roof framing, a horizontal timber connecting two opposite rafters at their lower ends to prevent them from spreading.

But from your photos it is not clear if they are actually joists with part of the ceiling below removed. If you remove the beams / joists, what will be revealed below? A ceiling or are there then ceiling joists below?

Although you would have a low head height, the beams/joists already provide a frame for boarding on. So perhaps given the low head height and your plan to only produce storage space, just board over what is there.

You should establish the span, size and spacing of the beams/joists to calculate their load bearing limits.

About half a meter below these beams are the ceiling joists, i.e. the joists between which I have laid the loft insulation.

I'll go back and do some measurements and add some better photos.
Thanks,
Tim.

It looks to me as though there has been a lathe & plaster ceiling fixed to the bottom of these timbers at some time in the past. That would make them previous ceiling joists. And the ceiling has been lowered at some time.

I'm not in a position to sugest whether you can remove them or not. Just providing some possible clarification. If those purlins go into the gable walls at each end, I suspect there's a possibility that some of them can be removed but I would suggest that you seek an expert opinion.

Sponsored Links
Different regions will have local terminology, up here I'd call that a raised tie member, and it is critical in restraining the rafters and the apex of the truss. You could however replace it with a similar sized member at a higher level. But if you want to keep it all legal and above board then you'd need to get advice and calculations done by a structural engineer and speak to your local building control offficer.

HTH

Alan

They are collar ties and are important and can not be removed unless you can reinforce the roof elsewhere.

If it's only for storage I'd go with the advice and leave them as is and board on top.
It is of course possible to remove them as long as further strengthing work is done as stated ( indeed almost anything IS possible) but for the cost and effort it really isn't worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back