Can I replace a bath overflow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a broken bath overflow, one of those ones that when you twist it the plug goes up or down. There's a little cable reaching from it to the plug.

I went to B&Q to get a new one but they only sold them as a set including the plug hole etc.

The reason it's broken is that it has come apart and will no longer attach to its back half, ie its hanging of the spindle and keeps dropping off into the bath. The overflow tube, cable and plug socket seem fine.

Are these things fairly standardised? Is it possible to just buy a cheap unit that will attach to the bath, the plastic overflow tube and cable?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Try looking at the Macalpine web site http://www.mcalpineplumbing.com/
then "Product Menu", then Waste Outlet Fittings" then "Bath Waste Popup". Or try searching for "Bath pop up waste fittings" for other makers.

If you find a direct replacement for the one already fitted, you should be able to simply replace the overflow part together with the pipe and wire control. However, if you have to change the waste outlet, this is not necessarily a simple job and you may need professional help.

Hi there, thanks for the response.

Does that mean I need to find an exact replacement for the broken part?

I was hoping there was a standard fitting. I guess different models are not compatable then?

I'm not sure what it's called but it's just the turny knob thing (stop me if I'm getting too technical) that's broken. The pipe and wire seem fine.

So I guess basically asking:

What is the name of the the top section of this assembly, the bit that attaches to the side of the bath, has a turning knob and connects to the wire and pipe?

And is there a standard or a relevent measurement or anything that indicates whether another one could replace it?

Hope that makes sense.

The ones I've seen are all different, but I suspect there are only a few makers, so you might be able to find one an exact match for what you already have. Google "bath pop up waste".

I don't think you'll be able to get just the knob, I think you'll have to buy the whole set, and just use the bits you need. They're not that expensive, from about £13 up to about £30.

If you can't find the one you want, or the one you want is at the high end of the price range, consider replacing the whole set. As said before, you might need help with this, as getting the bath waste to seal is not always a "first time right" job.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help.

I have a feeling I won't be able to recognise the correct product from a picture. It's also probably very old.

So, since the rest of the bathroom is falling apart too :( I might just leave it and hope I can afford a new bathroom one day.

Thanks again. :)

I've "fixed" a couple with piece of brass tube the right size (model shop) and some Araldite. I think that's your most likely solution :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back