1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I replace a pop-up waste with click clack (push button)?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by MuppetThumper, 21 May 2015.

1. MuppetThumper

MuppetThumper

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi folks,
    DIY noob here. I'm pretty sure its possible to do a straight swap between pop-up and push button basin wastes but wanted to check. Of course the basin is plumbed in (pedestal) so I'm assuming it might be a fiddle with access (and for this reason I might get a professional in as I don't want any leaks!) but before I order a tap just wanted to make sure my basic assumptions were correct!

I currently have a tap with integral pop-up waste system but the taps I am considering to replace it with don't use pop-up. My preference is to go push button as it seems simpler and less prone to problems.

thanks in advance
    Andrew

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Madrab

Madrab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Click clack wastes have their own problems of course if the mechanism fails. Nothing beats an old manual plug :)

As long as the waste you are installing is sized correctly to the basin outlet and whether it needs to be slotted or not, then swapping is pretty straightforward.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Yes that will be fine. A good move in fact as pop ups are rubbish

5. MuppetThumper

MuppetThumper

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    thanks chaps

6. MuppetThumper

MuppetThumper

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Had a closer look at the sink and it looks like access to replace the waste will be very tricky... the pedestal is sealed in partially (as is the sink), do you still think it's a doable job to be able to get round the back and replace the pop-up waste without ripping up the surround?

I suppose I might still be able to replace the tap without replacing the waste, if I source a tap with the requisite hole in the back, but ideally I would have wanted to put in a push button waste too.

cheers

7. Sponsored Links
  8. denso13

denso13

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not easy doing it in situ. Could you remove the basin leaving the pedestal in place? You could then change the taps and waste before refitting the basin and redoing the silicone.

9. Madrab

Madrab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As Denso mentions, not easy getting in behind, and one or the other may need moved. It really depends on how tight the waste is fitted.

10. If you can loosen the bolts holding the basin to the wall (not fully) you might get enough movement to lift it up and move the pedestal out slightly. If not remove as suggested.

11. MuppetThumper

MuppetThumper

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    thanks for the responses all.
    Might look to keep the waste then and find a substitute pop-up to save some hassle.

12. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local