Can I replace rotten wood below french doors with air bricks?

C

ClaireSmith

1.jpg
2.jpg

We have a small wooden strip below our French doors on the outside which has rotted with small holes appearing. This strip is approx. 9cm tall. Behind it is an open gap underneath our floorboards.Can I strip this wood out and replace it with air bricks? Or we have some leftover black PVC panels (left over from our mock tudor panelling), can we cut these down to size and drill air holes in them?

Sponsored Links
i would say not without investigating ??
your floor will be behind that rotten wood
do your joists go to the door or across the door

Thanks big-all. I'm not sure about the joists and can't really see underneath without stripping the rotten wood away.

iff you have floor boards the joists are at 90% to them
as they are probably around 8" you joists will finish about 9-10"[225-250mm] below the ffl [finished floor level]

Sponsored Links
just to clarify i am talking original planking that will go mostly full length rather than laminate or similar

To do it properly you would have to remove the door, check for rot and replace that timber with brick.
No idea why they would have installed the door on wood anyway.

Is that not just a piece of wood left there by the patio door fitters instead of using a pvc profile

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back