Can I seal a wall+not render it before fixing Thermal board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have conflicting needs: I have a small bedroom with a relatively large-ish cold outside wall and I want to improve its thermal efficiency without making the room much smaller than it is now. I have hacked off the old plaster on the wall so I have bare brickwork there.

I understand that one possibility is to apply a skim coat of mortar (er actually get a bloke in to do that), then apply 2 coats of Bitumen-Latex emulsion, then fix the thermal board either using furring strips or apply the thermal-plaster board directly using an applicator gun and golf-ball sized blobs of special adhesive.

May I ask:
---------
(1)
Is there an easy way - do I have to apply mortar or can I just use some kind of "paint on sealant" on the bare brickwork before using the blob+nailable-plug board installation process?

(2)
I guess "tape+fill" actually means "fill+tape" i.e. fill in the gaps between the boards with sealant then tape over it before emplyong a plasterer to skim the finished job ?

(3)
Using the glue-blob method sounds easier than using furring strips - why would one use furring strips then ?

Any tips much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thank you - sorry to be thick but if I use Black Jack can I put up thermal-plaster board using battens on teh brickwork without rendering or plastering a skim coat ?

yep we are at the mo on site in a refurb black jack batton it board it tape and joint it sorted

DSC00375-1.jpg

now thats just a start on the black jack so we can start on the screeding its over a flag stone wall that will be gyp studed ie metel stud work the boarded and finished

DSC00382.jpg

get it on the all nice and proper coat it good let it dry and there you go sorted

same as plastering and drylining coat the wall then batton it board it trust me thats how its done m8

DSC00375-1.jpg

now thats just a start on the black jack so we can start on the screeding its over a flag stone wall that will be gyp studed ie metel stud work the boarded and finished
is that a drain cover in the second pic to the right of the tin of backjack? if it is your screeding over it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back