Should I plaster or render ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small bare brick wall in a small bedroom that is cold in winter. I would like it skimmed before plaster boarding it. If it should be plastered, I will get a man in as I unedrstand that plastering is more difficult.

If it can be skimmed with mortar, I would like to have a go myself working on the basis that it will be covered up (by thermal plasterboard).

Would mortar be OK for a job like this ?

Sponsored Links
re-set or point any loose brickwork, wet the wall first.. use a mortar mix of 5 parts washed river sand to 1 part cement , add some render plasticiser/waterproofer and apply evenly to the whole wall at a depth of around 7-8mm (providing the wall is relatively flat) , dont be too fussed about trowel lines.. just make sure its evenly spread. wait til it begins to dry and tighten up a bit then using a scarpour (scarifer) apply your mechanical key (scratch) to the wall. do this by running the scarifer across the wall horizontaly, to only half the depth of the mortar you've spread (if your scraping along the brick work your digging in too far, this will weaken the scratchcoat). apply this scratch to the whole wall, this gives you a mechanical key, allowing the next coat of plaster.. or dabs if dabbing to set into.

HandyHarry87,

So I don't apply any kind of sealant on the wall after applying the mortar but before dabbing / plasterboarding ?

you can black jack it first after cleaning it and pointing up
then stud it out fill with insuation then board it and skim proper job
were in essex are you im in kent soo not too far or i know loads of spreads in essex

Sponsored Links
I would like it skimmed before plaster boarding it.
You certainly don’t need to skim it or render it (& rendering is actually more difficult) if your lining out. But what sort of wall is it; external, cavity, single skin brick, how old is the property?

The age & construction of the wall is a very important factor to asses before you go slapping stuff onto it.

you can black jack it first after cleaning it and pointing up
then stud it out fill with insuation then board it and skim proper job
were in essex are you im in kent soo not too far or i know loads of spreads in essex
theres only one man who spells like that and touts for work in essex and kent, is that you trowel addict?

The wall was built in 1947 and it is a single brick wall, no cavity, with the bricks laid so the wall is 215mm thick. It did have plaster on but I hacked the old plaster as I wanted to gain more space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back