Is this a DIY job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Have been removing loads of wallpaper from a bedroom, about 6 layers of wallpaper on a victorian house. About 2 foot of plaster and render has come away exposing bare bricks. It's my intention to get someone into do a skim coat.

However, before getting in a plasterer - can I make up a mix to render the brick work myself in readiness for the skim? How long would this need to dry before skimming?

I haven't done rendering before, but I'd give it a go or should I leave this to the plasterers?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I've had a similar problem in my property, which is about the same age (101 years). What we did was to take a bit more plaster off to make a square hole, then use a piece of plasterboard to fill it. We left it about 2-3 mm sunken in from the rest of the plaster to allow for a skim coat, so allow for this when choosing between 9 and 12.5mm PB, and the plasterer did a great job blending it in with the rest of the wall.

I'd prefer to put the render/bonding layer back as it will support the bricks.

Can someone tell me what products I buy to make the render/bonding?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't go down the plasterboard patch route, but i'd go for render, i'd also leave it for a plasterer to do the job. He'd probably go down the render/multifiish route, or even hardwall/multifinish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back