Patch repair internal Victorian plastered brick walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a search and not found an exact answer so thought I would ask.

I have an old Victorian house and on the internal face of an external exposed wall the wall paper was bulging and it felt like the plaster was crumbling.
Wallpaper came of VERY easily, a bit too easily. The wall has been lightly skimmed at some point.
The problem is that in some places the plaster has blown and sounds hollow. In others not only has the top skim come off but the Victorian top coat and what appears to be a sand/cement render that was directly on the brick has disintegrated leaving just bare brick. Total depth missing in worst place is 25mm.

My question is is it best to use a sand/cement (4:1?) render with some waterproofer (PVA? how much?) or Browning and then skim over them?

I am leaning towards the sand/cement render as it's supposed to be a bit more waterproof and the external side of the wall faces towards the sea which is only 100meters away!

Sorry it's so long and thanks for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
I have added an image to show the repair I need to do.
Just trying to do a temp repair this year and next year need to get whole room and ceiling redone but money tight this year.

Thanks for any help

I have done the sand cement and it is nearly dry.
I am intending to PVA it and when tacky try giving it 2 coats of multi finish.
I did have a bit of difficulty getting the render on thick enough next to the window frame and in some places it is 11mm from the face of the wall.

So will I be ok doing 2 coats on multi that will be up to 11mm deep, most of the patch will need to be 8mm in multi finish.

So is 8-11mm OK in 2 coats of multi finish?

Thanks

I would get a bag of bonding and bring it up to near flush then skim, that way you can finish it in the one hit.

Sponsored Links
I would get a bag of bonding and bring it up to near flush then skim, that way you can finish it in the one hit.
Cheers.
As I was impatient I gave it another coat of sand & cement. So I only have about 2 mm left for the multi finish.

Fingers crossed that will be OK.

Thanks.

Looks like my impatience didn't pay off :oops:
Don't know what I did wrong but the second coat of sand & cement did not stick!! After almost 24 hrs I went to knock off the ridges of the scratches and it was not dry and just scraped off completely!
So I decided to remove all the second coat which was VERY easy.

So tomorrow I will go and get some bonding and give that a go.

Thanks very much for your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back