rendering internally

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone, please be gentle as its my 1st time on this forum. but already learnt so much reading all other positive advice left for others :D my question is Ive hacked off the plaster to the bare brick underneath my bedroom window as wallpaper was soggy and plaster felt weak, thats all fixed now :D :D but now its time to repair the wall :( ive done very few skimming jobs and understand the concept of when to dry trowel etc. but rendering is another ball game as never tried rendering before, do i just soak the bare brick wall with CLEAN WATER (no pva!!!) and then start the 1st coat?? i will be using sand/cement waterpfoofer for 1st coat, minus waterproofer for 2nd coat ready for final skimming. house is approx 90 years old so probably original bricks if this helps, thanks

Sponsored Links
Now that you've said the damp problem is fixed, and the damaged area of wall is ready to be re-plastered,,, give the brickwork a good brush down to remove any dust etc, then give it a damp down/PVA with a wet brush, and then scratch coat straight onto the wet/PVA'd brickwork. leave the s/coat a day or two, to set and cure,,, then put on your top coat of render. Leave it to set and cure, then you're ready for the multi finish.

youngroughcaster ;) ;)

Now that you've said the damp problem is fixed, and the damaged area of wall is ready to be re-plastered,,, give the brickwork a good brush down to remove any dust etc, then give it a damp down/PVA with a wet brush, and then scratch coat straight onto the wet/PVA'd brickwork. leave the s/coat a day or two, to set and cure,,, then put on your top coat of render. Leave it to set and cure, then you're ready for the multi finish.

youngroughcaster ;) ;)
cheers youngroughcaster, is doing the 2 coats of render same day better or wouldnt it make much difference??? and if i leave s/coat for a day or two do i wet/pva again before 2nd coat?? and same again before skimming???

It's always better to scratch coat one day, and top coat the next,, with putting on 2 coats in one day, you run the risk of the overall thickness of render slumping/splitting, by being too heavy a coat.
If you leave the scratch coat a day, and then top coat a day or two after,, just give it damp down with a water brush,, just brush the water over it, enough to moisten the surface, and make the top coat go on easier, you've waterproofer in the scratch coat anyway, so there should be very little suction. You don't need to PVA anything else. With the skimming,, it depends what your capabilities are. Because you wont have any waterproofer in the top coat of render, you might have some suction, so if you think that might cause a problem while skimming, you could PVA the render the night before to seal it,, then PVA it again the day after, and skim while tacky. See how you get on and let us know if you have any problems.

youngroughcaster ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
That was good advice you gave there youngrough',,,, i'm proud of ya. ;)

Roughcaster.

It's always better to scratch coat one day, and top coat the next,, with putting on 2 coats in one day, you run the risk of the overall thickness of render slumping/splitting, by being too heavy a coat.
If you leave the scratch coat a day, and then top coat a day or two after,, just give it damp down with a water brush,, just brush the water over it, enough to moisten the surface, and make the top coat go on easier, you've waterproofer in the scratch coat anyway, so there should be very little suction. You don't need to PVA anything else. With the skimming,, it depends what your capabilities are. Because you wont have any waterproofer in the top coat of render, you might have some suction, so if you think that might cause a problem while skimming, you could PVA the render the night before to seal it,, then PVA it again the day after, and skim while tacky. See how you get on and let us know if you have any problems.

youngroughcaster ;) ;)
cheers again, that makes everything more clear in my head, glad you guys are are this forum :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back