Can I simply replace a Sky+ box with a Sky Q one?

Um, actually you do not need a subscription.
Especially if you are leaving sky you simply ask for your card to be changed to view them (may include a small fee for doing so).

Sponsored Links
Um, actually you do not need a subscription.
Especially if you are leaving sky you simply ask for your card to be changed to view them (may include a small fee for doing so).
You don't need ask anything if you are leaving sky. The card automatically defaults to Free to View.

But when that card expires because sky are changing them all you have to pay for another. That payment is effectively a subscription for 4 years or whatever.

So when I bought my Sky+ HD box some 10 years ago, I dont recall able to see "the main" free channels without a viewing card. I recall purchasing a card from Sky for about £20/£30 upon which I could then access the free channels. Whenever I removed this card from the receiver, the channels were scrambled again. I was told that the card would last about 5 years upon which I would need to buy a new one.

After some 5-7 years, I recall taking the card out and the box would still display the main free channels. I have never had to buy a replacement card.

Maybe things have changed since we had to buy the cards to use our old boxes.

Sponsored Links
So when I bought my Sky+ HD box some 10 years ago, I dont recall able to see "the main" free channels without a viewing card. I recall purchasing a card from Sky for about £20/£30 upon which I could then access the free channels. Whenever I removed this card from the receiver, the channels were scrambled again. I was told that the card would last about 5 years upon which I would need to buy a new one.

After some 5-7 years, I recall taking the card out and the box would still display the main free channels. I have never had to buy a replacement card.

As I said earlier:

"At one point BBC channels were Free to view but they got rid of that policy as soon as Birt went."

I'll now add: In those days there was no necessity to buy a card from sky as the BBC would send you one for free if you asked. Sky ripped you off but that was nothing new.

Some years ago many UK programs were encrypted as they were not allowed to transmit to other European countries well any countries other than UK in the satellite foot print.

So there were a host of programs which you could watch on freeview but not on satellite without a card.

However as time has gone on more and more channels have removed the encryption. UK Gold still is encrypted but UK Drama is not.

Pls remind me, what is the equivalent of the Sky+ HD box without the recording called, just Sky HD box? I've got a Manhattan box to replace my (sometimes not working Sky+ HD box) but my mother doesn't like it as she prefers more of the free to air cultural channels available on Sky box and has memorised the channels so doesnt watch the new box now.

It is called a sky HD box. The free to air cultural channels should be available on the Manhattan box as well. You may have to tune them in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back