Can I still fit a undersized external door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a second door and only found out they are underside by around 40mm on width and 60mm on height.

My question is that can I still fit it?

I got some pic for the measurement if that’s help

Attachments

• B8FC7B75-60A9-4B41-8D80-5DAE3F323CBD.jpeg
    B8FC7B75-60A9-4B41-8D80-5DAE3F323CBD.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 68
  • F7EB58CB-65C4-425B-8F8C-B929C788A9A9.jpeg
    F7EB58CB-65C4-425B-8F8C-B929C788A9A9.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 68
  • C637676D-C104-4CE5-B0F6-3B57DFB86AA2.jpeg
    C637676D-C104-4CE5-B0F6-3B57DFB86AA2.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 58
  • B3CCF76F-0AC3-4313-BD0B-A8D6C5CEB3A9.jpeg
    B3CCF76F-0AC3-4313-BD0B-A8D6C5CEB3A9.jpeg
    405.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 4D6FD42E-D6AC-44AC-98DA-4C0BD046CA88.jpeg
    4D6FD42E-D6AC-44AC-98DA-4C0BD046CA88.jpeg
    448 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
If youve bought a door with frame then you can mount the new frame inside the old frame if it's still in a reasonable enough condition to receive it, you have the tools necessary to cut it and you don't mind the look of the end result (can cover the transition with some plastic trim).

If you don't have the tools you might be looking at ripping the old frame out and adding packing to the sides and top of the new frame eg 15mm either side and 50mm on top to leave a smaller gap you can foam up.

I'm kinda puzzled how the frame you have measured in picture 1 doesn't appear to have a bottom though..

The pic is not really clear but that shows the measurement.
Let me upload another pic of the whole frame.
The end bit it’s just a piece of thin metal with linked the frame together

Also is it really a hard to do it myself? I have asked and loads of people just ask me to get a new door.
I personally think they just want to sell me the door and I can’t return the door myself now so I would better just fit that one.

Sponsored Links
I guess that's a level threshold frame, upside down in the picture. Go to a window supplier and get some "knock ons", you need to make up the gap less 5mm either side. As you don't know the profile of the frame you might have to cut off any nibs. Check whether you need a level threshold, if not it can sit on a standard or stub cill.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about get a new door and someone to fit it.

It looks as if your door frame has been cut down to size, from a door that used to have a top light.
Without the top bar on the frame, you will lose rigidity in the frame, and the composite door won't have a decent seal.
I'm afraid I would recommend getting a new door :(

I guess that's a level threshold frame, upside down in the picture.
It's the right way up - drain caps are at the bottom...

Edit - on looking again (more closely), it might not be a drain cap, and I am wrong! :oops:

Last edited:
It can be done, but you've bought yourself a challenge. If the new frame fits inside the old frame there is a reasonably easy path forward (albeit it mike look slightly odd with a very heavy double frame). If it doesn't, the old frame has to come out and the gap between brick and new frame made up. The way to fit this is to secure the hinge side of the frame securely and the keep side lightly at the top and not much at the bottom. Hang the door on the hinges and adjust the keep side of the frame so the door sits tight in the frame and the lock works smoothly, then secure everything up.

With a multipoint lock and a second hand door, if you secure all the frame tightly first then try and fit the door, the chances of the multipoint working cleanly are not high. (understatement).

Thanks, now I understand why no one want to take on this job.
Looks like it’s not a job I can do it myself.
Might have to get a new door and get somone to fit it unless someone will take on this challenge.
Looks like lesson learn from here ‍=.=‘

Well, you've already bought the door etc so you might as well give it a go yourself. If you make an ass of it you still have the option you're currently considering anyway (get some tradesmuppet to come make an ass of a new door instead) so your chances of an outcome that is equal to or better than you're expecting is actually 100%

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back