Can I strip one side of my roof at a time?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm renewing my roof this spring/summer as part of ongoing renovations and loft conversion. This will include some roof windows and 'warm roof' insulation.

The thing is, I'm working alone and along with the other half we are still living in the property, so I want to keep things manageable. I'm aware that roofers pre-load a roof with tiles to distribute the weight before fixing, so is there any risk if I completely strip one side down to the rafters whilst the other side is still tiled?

It's about 50sq m per side (10 wide, 5 drop) of plain concrete tiles @ 40degree pitch, on a 1963 cut frame. The additional collars for the loft conversion are in place and all of the original supports are still in place.

Or should I do opposite halfs at a time to keep the weight distribution more even? Although this makes it tricky to stagger battens etc. Any advice welcome, thanks.

Sponsored Links
That's good to know, thanks mate.

I guess they distribute the tiles around a roof prior to fixing then for convenience, and so as not to overload a small area, which makes sense rather than to counter any thrust from the opposite pitch.

Sponsored Links
you tile right to left. You measure the width of three tiles across the width of the roof you mark every three tiles where they would land.When loading you place six tiles on the mark you have marked for three tiles the six tiles cover 2 battens hence the 6 tiles you have. The panel/side your doing are loaded with the required tiles for the full side you mark every three tiles because when your tiling the loads wont get in your way because you have loaded the roof in such a way you know where each tile is going to land. You tile from eaves to ridge in blocks of 3 tiles this also help keep your work straight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back