Climbing on pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have some issues on the roof which need sorting out, both involving the gas flue, there is a bit of tape from a VHS cassette caught round it blowing in the wind (don't ask :rolleyes: ), and also the lead flashing is lifted up at one edge, and birds are going into the loft, I have tried to remove the VHS tape with a stick from a ladder, but to no avail, the solution is for someone to climb on it, and recify the problems, its not a high roof, its a bungalow, and the pitch is shallow, the issue is with weight, i'm not a small guy, 6' 4" and 18 and and a half to 19 stone so i'm loath to go on it myself, even with spreading my weight, my mum has put paid to the idea of getting my sister (who weighs around 6 stone) to do it, though I suppose a 12 year old on a roof might not be such a good idea.

I could get my dad to do it, but he is still between 13 and 15 stone, or I could wait until my mate (who is half my weight) is round here, and ask him to do it (he is used to climbing on roofs, he has added quite a few aerials to the side of the chimney at his house).

House is around 100 years old, has been re-roofed about 15 years back though.

So what sort of weight of person would be ok on the roof, ask if i've left any information out that you need, roofs arn't my thing, I live in the electrics section of the forum

Sponsored Links
Your dad is the one BUT hire a roof ladder with a hook on the end :!:

mostly depends on the roof covering if it is slate then even your sister is likely to break them, get a roofing ladder and make sure you pad it out underneath.
If it is say large format ridged modern tiles then they will probably take your weight if you are careful.

Sponsored Links
the copings don't hold the ladder in place!!! anyway this posts 5yrs old :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back