Roof Climbing - Hip end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fair bit of climbing on my roof to do. I fully accept the risks involved with working at height. Does anyone have any trade tips for navigating hip ends, I have normal extension ladders and a cat ladder. The roof has roughly 45 degrees pitch all round, construction clay tiles, 1890's build. I'm confident with heights, just wondering if anyone in the trade has knocked up any contraptions to navigate the hip end?

Thanks - Ian

Sponsored Links
Yes,just put your cat ladder on at an angle and secure bottom(screw hook into fascia and tie off.A scaffold is always the saffest option but not always practical or in your case being too tight to pay for one(joke).I have used this method before and its quite safe. :rolleyes:

I'm doing something similar on a first floor extension. The pitch is only 30 degrees so I'm reasonably comfortable shuffling around on the tiles, but I'm worried I might be cracking them. Am I causing hidden damage?

They're Marley Ashmore interlockers, by the way.

Gary

Sponsored Links
Its never worth it just to save a few quid,cant you hire at least a tower.The way i look at it most people get hurt falling off roofs.

ladders at angle..screw eyes in fascias.. jeez it says it all..We are talking 45 degrees here!!!

and Gary you may well be.. it depends on how you go about it.

I have a..........roof has roughly 45 degrees pitch all round, construction clay tiles..........just wondering if anyone in the trade has knocked up any contraptions to navigate the hip end?
it's called scaffold...

Words of wisdom.

You don't want to be dicking around on clays at 45 deg' pitch at any price.

You may have to strip some tiles to form a ladder up the roof. Be sure to remove full tiles as opposed to the finishing cuts that may be prevalent up one side of the hip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back