Roof Tiling - Moving about the roof safely

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently building a single storey double hipped garden room with 20 degree trusses 600mm apart and Redland Ministonewold tiles.

Currently the roofing underlay and Battens (which I don't have much confidence in) are fitted.

I am using decorators scaffolding which can access 2 sides and ladder only access on the other two sides.

Does anyone have any tips as to the safest way to start tiling and moving around the roof.

Sponsored Links
load the roof out first then fix the eave tiles around the perimeter, you can then perch yourself on the roof with your right leg lodged behind the first course of tiles,align your bum,leg or knee so that your weight corresponds with a truss you can then start laying the tiles from right to left in panels of 9 or 12 untill you reach the ridge.

do your cuts for the hips on the ground for safety.

20 degree, you'll be able to stand up and lay the tiles with out a problem. (stand on the batten directly over the truss) Tile from the bottom right to left splaying up 2 tiles wide .. Hip cuts can be done on the ground if your not to confident. tile the two awkward access sides first and finish using the tower.

When you load the roof load it evenly side for side to balance the weight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back