Verge Tiles on Hipped roof

blah, blah, blah. wish you'd rung a scaffolder........?

Nope, good operator will get a picker basket anywhere.

We spend upwards of 3 million a year on scaffold, and probably 1/2 a million on pickers. Time and money are always a priority ;)

Sponsored Links
I have to agree with Noseall on this one........a cherrypicker isnt always the easiest option.Having worked from a few in my time i would rather work from a scaffold as i tend to find that you are restricted in the basket from things like lack of space and the harness getting in the way to name but a few.I can think of certain jobs where i think being suspended from a crane would have been easier than working from the picker(cue H&S recommendations) :oops:

Sponsored Links
Original Poster Wrote

I have an end terrace house and with a tiled hip roof

I Wrote

We would use one of these for the job,

At which point noseall wrote;

" my house has a sloping drive, and i can not get anywhere near the building!"

"my house has a steep frontage so the cherry picker can not get anywhere near the top courses because of the angles"

"it is very windy here today, this cherry picker is dangerous"

Now, originally, the OP was looking for alternative means to access the works, can you run a scaffold up the hip? No, but will arrest his fall down the hip.

The picker in the picture was for idea purposes only, to dismiss it out of hand is wrong. I have carried out surveys/work on the smallest to the largest pickers. A cost comparison for the original OP's situation needs exploration do you not think?

Most decent picker companies will come and have a look, to make sure the correct machine is used, and a truck mounted picker is about £250 for half a day, while understanding some don't trust pickers because of fear of instability, i do trust them, hence the original recommendation. :)

that's great. but how does he do the ones from the back garden?

scaffold?

great, pay twice!

result. :rolleyes:

Cherry pickers have their uses.. but are not suitible for all jobs, to slip a few tiles in maybe but striping of and rebeding hips they would be crap.
1 you have limited room in the basket.
2 you need to get on your hands and knees to reach the hip
3 what happens to falling debris?
4 as previous said by others they can not reach everywhere even by going over the top..
etc etc
I have used them and recognise where they can be used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back