Verge Tiles on Hipped roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone
I have an end terrace house and with a tiled hip roof. In the past the verge tiles on the hips have been rep-ointed - but badly and the surveyor said the verge tiles would benefit from reseating and pointing.
Can you access the hip using a roof ladder or will a job like this require scaffolding?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt fancy taking off a bonnet hip, re-bedding and pointing it off a ladder

Sponsored Links
A surveyor said there were verge tiles on the hip? Outrageous :eek:

Are you sure he was not an engineer or suchlike masquerading as a surveyor? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've seen cat ladders propped on an angle and people who should know better stepping off a ladder at the eaves and just walking up the hip.

Whether you use scaffold just depends on how much you value your life

Hi Everyone
Seems the surveyor shouldn't give up his day job!!
Don't know the proper terminology but they are the corner tiles on the very edge of the hip where the front and gable sides of the roof meet.
They are corner shaped and they all stack on top of each other bit like overlapping dominoes.
Anyway it seems the general opinion is that it is not easy to access the hip off a roof ladder.
Thought you roofers may have some clever way of getting at the hip without scaffolding.
But having said that I did notice that the Local Authority came to fix someones leaking gutter last week and erected a scaffold for that - can't imagine how much it adds to the cost of a job if you can't even mend a leaking gutter without scaffolding.

Thanks
g.

these fellas,

et-dia2.jpg

scaffold every time these days.

On a hipped roof the only SAFE way is to erect a scaffold.

Any Bona Fide company would have to erect a scaffold, if anyone got injured doing it off `skyhooks' the consequences could be very expensive.

Thanks a lot lads!
Noseall they are the ones except square edged not rounded like the ones in the picture.
What are they called so that when I call a roofer I don't sound like a numpty!!!
G.

We would use one of these for the job, much simpler. Truck mounted with operator for 1/2 a day is cheaper than scaffold.

01_280.jpg

We would use one of these for the job, much simpler. Truck mounted with operator for 1/2 a day is cheaper than scaffold.

01_280.jpg

" my house has a sloping drive, and i can not get anywhere near the building!"

"my house has a steep frontage so the cherry picker can not get anywhere near the top courses because of the angles"

"it is very windy here today, this cherry picker is dangerous"

blah, blah, blah. wish you'd rung a scaffolder........?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back