Walking on pitched roof extension without damaging tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to get up onto the roof of my kitchen extension to do some repair work to a bedroom window. Any tips on how to walk on the roof without damaging the tiles? The tiles I have are sandtoft 20/20 on a pitched roof. The roof is 15 degree pitch so safe enough to walk on with not much slant.

My first thought is to use a large piece of OSB board so it distributes my weight but any other useful tips appreciated

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Forget the OSB board and any unwanted ski-ing experience.
Make a roof ladder to suit - cut & screw using 25mm x 38mm tile battens - bend some metal to make hooks.

Forget the OSB board and any unwanted ski-ing experience.
Make a roof ladder to suit - cut & screw using 25mm x 38mm tile battens - bend some metal to make hooks.
Similar to this but theses were 25 x 50

Attachments

• IMG_20200819_113952327.jpg
    IMG_20200819_113952327.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 70
Walk on the tail of the tile where it is supported by a tile batten, even better slide every 3rd tile up if you can. Assuming a lean too extension Deffo no ply or osb as it will slide.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I need to get up onto the roof of my kitchen extension to do some repair work to a bedroom window. Any tips on how to walk on the roof without damaging the tiles? The tiles I have are sandtoft 20/20 on a pitched roof. The roof is 15 degree pitch so safe enough to walk on with not much slant.

My first thought is to use a large piece of OSB board so it distributes my weight but any other useful tips appreciated
That's fine as long as the sheet stays put and there are no tiles sticking up and you can prevent the sheet impacting on corners etc. We tend to cushion the tiles with softer material....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back