Roof window flashing problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after some advice...
The roofers have just finished and have installed 3 roof windows along with a completely new roof as part of what has turned into a nightmare of a loft conversion, but that's another story.
I am under the impression that the tiles running down either side of the window should project below the main side flashings, ending at roughly the bottom of the skirt. Also rather than space the tiles from the eaves to have a course ending at the bottom of the window they've cut the tiles below the window opening which I think has cocked up their tile positions around it.
The upshot is that a large area of flashing that I think should be under the next course of side tiles is exposed and has had to be stuck down rather than the weight of the tiles holding it there. When I challenged them over it they have assured me this is fine and they've always done it like this however I cannot find evidence of another installation like this anywhere.
IMG-20200325-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20200325-WA0011.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's wrong. A roof tile should cover that corner bit in your second photo that looks unstuck, or at worst, a max of 2" of the ribbed part not covered.

Yes again from me its wrong. Too dam lazy to cut the tiles and i'd say they used the wrong flashing kit as is not the one for plain tiles by the looks of it. They need to be stripped out totally and refitted by someone who knows what they are doing. Also not sure if it just the picture or angle but the tiles between the windows look like they are sagging or not fastened down correctly on the window edging.

As the others have said its not correct, Its the correct flashing kit but the window needed to be lower down the roof maybe 100mm ish just gauging from the picture or each of the 10 rows of tiles needed 10mm adding to the gauge, either way it's their problem and it's wrong.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comments guys, now to confront the roofer and judging by his response when I 1st questioned this and other issues it's not going to be easy. Hopefully building control will be able to back me up as well.

Lol. The instructions are quite explicit in terms of window positioning in relation to tile battens/tiles. Velux and Keylite focus on different items (Velux the top of the tile, Keylite the top of the batten) but both have a set distance that the window is positioned relative to the tile coursing.

It is then up to the builder to select the optimum tile course to position the window, even if that means designing and building the roof around the roof window. In the image below....
..we had little room for the top collars and be able to accommodate the largest height roof window possible, whilst positioning the window favourably. It was a juggling act that required measuring and forward planning including adjusting the tile gauge etc.

EDIT: I cut the roof collar ends with a jaunty angle, to make fitting of the trimmers easier and the later fitting of the Celotex between rafters.

Last edited:
Typically, BCO has nothing to say to the quality of the work.
BCO is to enforce the Regs.

Picked up this thread as I think I have a similar issue. See photo attached.
The exposed flashing at the bottom of the Velux on the left chatters in the wind.
What do you chaps think is the cause?

Attachments

• IMG_7188.JPG
    IMG_7188.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 221
This a slightly different situation and flashing . cement fibre slate gauge is set. if the velux was already there, then either you move it or live with what you have.
simple solution is a CDR on the corners which will hold the flashing down.

there are a few cdrs missing fwiw

Thank you datarebal.
The whole roof/dormers/velux are new. Velux have said the warranty is void because in their view the window has not been installed as per their instructions.
What is CDR?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back