Dodgy roof abutment flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have water coming into the room below the roof on the sides of the room when it rains.

I'm unable to climb onto the roof to take a closer look as it is too high and I don't have access from below.
I've taken a look at the roof from the window above and the flashing looks a bit suspicious - would anyone agree?

It looks a bit like it has been cut where it meets the tile, so perhaps it does not extend under the tiles?
Does this perhaps look like old flashing that someone cut away, before adding new tiles, but then failed to put new flashing in place?

Any thoughts on what the flashing should look like?

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_4690.JPG
    IMG_4690.JPG
    369.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4694.JPG
    IMG_4694.JPG
    410.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4703.JPG
    IMG_4703.JPG
    475.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OP, Why not read the last two threads below your thread.
Your pics have yet to appear?

As you recognise, this is a job for experienced professionals, not for DIY'ers.
Whatever, the cause should be located even if its proposed the whole roof is to be stripped and replaced.

The flashing is installed wrong, and doesn't seem to have soakers with upstands.
Is the top edge of the flashing turned into chases? Probably but hard to see?
Debris has collected at the abutments - not good because debris build up can eventually lead to leaks.
You have a variety of slates, some of them out of bond, some with lead tingles(clips) where presumably the nailing has failed?
The head of the roof light also has a build-up of debris.

The parapet coping stones appear fit for purpose - although best practice requires mechanical fixings for parapet copings.

If the interior ceiling is badly water damaged then why not remove the ceiling or parts of the ceiling, and investigate exactly where the leaks are coming from? Pics of the walls & ceiling damage might help.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the detailed response. I’m attaching two photos of the ceiling so you can see the sort of damage we’re getting. Also one from the wall outside. The outside wall looks pretty soaked, so I wonder if the down pipes are faulty too.

Attachments

• IMG_4660.jpeg
    IMG_4660.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4659.jpeg
    IMG_4659.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4651.jpeg
    IMG_4651.jpeg
    490.9 KB · Views: 37
OP, Thanks for the pics.
The well stained ceiling has a down light that should be isolated for safety.
If it was my job I would remove all water stained plaster from the walls & ceiling but its your call?
The copings in pic # 3 are not wide enough - a 40mm min projection with a drip channel is needed on both sides of a coping.
There is water staining behind the down pipe and also staining on nearby brickwork - the staining could be current or historic. Are the bricks actually wet to touch?
note: you do have cavity walls which usually prevent direct water penetration.
Why not observe during rain - use Bino's if needed.

Thanks for those suggestions!
Just got to wait for the next heavy rain now…

@ree any suggestions on how to make that light fitting safe? There are other spotlights in that room from the same switch and we would like to keep those working, even if this one has to be removed for now.

We are unsure when the roof leak might be fixed - this flat is leasehold, and the freeholder/manager is not responding to requests to fix the roof leak.

Ask on the sparkies forum , its simple to do but I dont want to take any responsibility for you actually doing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back