Can I swap a door sensor to a motion sensor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning
I have converted my garage to a room and there is an internal door with a door sensor. Now I want to change that sensor to a motion sensor.
Is it as simple as turning off the supply then refitting a motion sensor in place of the door sensor?

Sponsored Links
as long as its got 4/6 cores, depending on panel as you will need 2 for power 2 for alarm plus tamper. it could be end of line wiring and it could be connected to another contact.

As Sparkymarka says... and...

It's not just a case of switching off the power. You will need to get inside the panel (that's the main control box) and connect to the 12V supply to run the PIR. This will be on the spare pair in the cable. If you haven't got a spare pair, there are various tricks that can be done, depending on how the thing is wired.

When you open the panel, you will generate a tamper which will make loads of noise (usually, only inside the house). You'll need to stop it with your code.

A sparky did it who was working in the house.
The door sensor was replaced quite simply, just connected the 6 wires into the pir.
At the panel end, things were slightly more complicated and the 6 core alarm wire was moved to different terminals.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back