Can I Swap A Vented Cylinder For A New Unvented One?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a traditional vented set up, Ideal Icos boiler, Y plan, 2 roof tanks, etc.

Is it possible to change the vented cylinder for a new unvented one? What else would have to be changed? Do I keep the roof tanks?

If possible, I would like the benefits of unvented without ripping out a perfectly good system.

Sponsored Links
I have a traditional vented set up, Ideal Icos boiler, Y plan, 2 roof tanks, etc.

Is it possible to change the vented cylinder for a new unvented one? What else would have to be changed? Do I keep the roof tanks?

If possible, I would like the benefits of unvented without ripping out a perfectly good system.

You'll need connection to a water main delivering adequate pressure & flow, balanced cold to mixers/showers, drain line to G3 spec., dedicated zone valve for cylinder as well as other pipework alteration, wiring etc.

Sponsored Links
...installed by a G3 qualified Engineer (it's a legal requirement)

, drain line to G3 spec.

Thanks for the replies.

What's a drain line?

D1 discharge pipe from tprv to tundish
D2 discharge pipe from tundish to drain

D2 must be larger than D1

your G3 unvented trained engineer will take care of it for you.

Yup as stated unvented ticket required I'm afraid. Have you seen how explosive unvented cylinders can be if fitted incorrectly?

Uuuuuhhh, whats a D2 and a drain line?

Read manufacturer's installation instructions, available on-line , e.g., Heatrae Sadia Megaflo; they're all the same or very similar.

Metal drain pipe with dimensions ( minimum bore, maximum length and maximum number of bends) to discharge water safely.

If either of the relief valves operates,you will have very hot water at mains pressure discharging into a tiny open tundish inside your house. The drain dimensions are specified to ensure it is safely discharged to an external drain, without overflowing the tundish.

Excess resistance (too small pipe, too long a run, too many bends) and a PRV operating means much indoor hot water features, many ceilings collapsed, electrics buggered, floors warped, wailing, gnashing of teeth, reading of soggy insurance policy small print, etc..

Onetap, I dont think its a very good idea to encourage him to install it himself when he is not qualified.

Safer for him to use a qualified professional.

Tony

Thanks for the info.

Agile - nothing in Onetap's post suggested a DIY install. Don't panic. I will make sure the heating engineer has the correct ticket.

I just wanted to know what I was getting myself into, so that I am not going into it blind.

Perhaps not, but it told you where you could get detailed installation advice.

You will see that nothing in your posting made any reference to any profesional being involved. Most of those questions come from people on here wanting to DIY.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back