Can I take power from here to create a light and spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like a light and a socket in my utility cupboard.

Currently, I have two FCU's which provide power for my immersion heaters.

Is it possible to create a light feed and spur from the FCU's?

Attachments

• IMG_20220907_160610964.jpg
    IMG_20220907_160610964.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
Is it up stairs? is there a loft? Surely you can find a junction box on the upstairs light circuit in the loft? This would save down fusing a light spur.

For the socket, it depends how immersion heaters are fed - are they on an economy 7 circuit, separate feed from the Consumer unit?

Is it up stairs? is there a loft? Surely you can find a junction box on the upstairs light circuit in the loft? This would save down fusing a light spur
No mate. The utility cupboard is on the ground floor.

Sponsored Links
Yes, they are.
In that case, I would say that it somewhat depends on what sort of loads you are contemplating might be plugged into the socket you want, since, when the immersion is 'on' it will already be using virtually all of the power available on the 'load side' of the FCU and probably the great majority of power available on the 'supply side' of it (if it is a 16A circuit). Hence, unless you are fairly sure that the only loads ever applied to the socket will be fairly 'trivial', it doesn't sound like a good idea.

Also to be consdiered, if you connect a socket and/or lighting to that circuit, you will invoke a require for the circuit to be RCD protected. Are the immersion circuits currently protected by RCD(s)?

Kind Regards, John

If by 'spur' you mean a socket, then it depends upon what use you intend putting the new socket to. Answer that, then you might get some suitable advice.

Is there a reason you cannot supply the light feed from your existing lighting circuit?

If by 'spur' you mean a socket, ...
See ....
I would like a light and a socket in my utility cupboard. ....

then it depends upon what use you intend putting the new socket to.
Indeed ....
In that case, I would say that it somewhat depends on what sort of loads you are contemplating might be plugged into the socket you want, since, when the immersion is 'on' it will already be using virtually all of the power available on the 'load side' of the FCU and probably the great majority of power available on the 'supply side' of it (if it is a 16A circuit). Hence, unless you are fairly sure that the only loads ever applied to the socket will be fairly 'trivial', it doesn't sound like a good idea.

Kind Regards, John

Also to be consdiered, if you connect a socket and/or lighting to that circuit, you will invoke a require for the circuit to be RCD protected. Are the immersion circuits currently protected by RCD(s)?

Kind Regards, John
I would like the following in the socket - Internet modem, NVR and maybe a PC monitor. Is this okay?

I guess on the rare occassion, it would be convenient to hook up a hoover (Henry) to clean the area. However, I am guessing that this wouldn't be wise as the power could cause the the circuit to trip?

Immersions are RCD protected

I would like the following in the socket - Internet modem, NVR and maybe a PC monitor. Is this okay?

I guess on the rare occassion, it would be convenient to hook up a hoover (Henry) to clean the area. However, I am guessing that this wouldn't be wise as the power could cause the the circuit to trip?

Modem would be OK, plus maybe the NVR and monitor, but the vacuum is not a good idea mixed with the other items. There might be nuisance tripping.

You mentioned a bungalow - usually solid floored bungalows have the sockets wiring in and down from the loft. Have you checked? If that is the case you could spur off the socket circuits.

Lighting will definitely be wired in the loft, so there will certainly be an accessible L and N in the loft for the lighting circuit(s), perfectly able to supply a modem, NVR and a monitor, though not a vacuum cleaner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back