Can I tidy up master phone socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So our master phone socket is by the front door. Really impractical for router as there is no nearby power socket. Currently there is the microfilter plugged in and the cable runs about 15metres around the house and back in to a secondary socket where the router and phone is plugged in. This secondary socket is in the ideal location.

Is there a way for me to hide the wiring behind the faceplate of the master socket at all so I don't have to see it going through the wall? I would then run it behind the plasterboard as at the moment I have access while I do the downstairs toilet. Would I still need the microfilter?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8921.jpg
    IMG_8921.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 345
Sponsored Links
Simply hardwire the secondary socket to the master socket using telephone cable then you can hide the cable any way you see fit

You will still need a microfilter in-between your router and secondary socket for the internet to work

four core is adequate.

Some confusion

Quote from Q&A for the product ""Thank you for your enquiry, the AWG on this cable is this cable 24 and the cable is multi stranded"".

If the cores in the cable you linked to are stranded then it will not make a reliable ( if any ) connection to IDC ( Insulation Displacement Connectors ) also known as punch down connectors.

Use 4 core solid core cable, type is CW1308

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
four core is adequate.

Some confusion

Quote from Q&A for the product ""Thank you for your enquiry, the AWG on this cable is this cable 24 and the cable is multi stranded"".

If the cores in the cable you linked to are stranded then it will not make a reliable ( if any ) connection to IDC ( Insulation Displacement Connectors ) also known as punch down connectors.

Use 4 core solid core cable, type is CW1308

I'll check before I purchase. Another question's answer says it's CW1308

I no longer trust the technical data / information that comes from some previously reliable suppliers.

Personally I would use one of these

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GPNTE5ADSL.html

which has the filtering to remove ADSL signals from the internal telephone wiring. Then use

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CACW1308slash4.html

and run one cable from the filtered side to the telehones around the house and a second cable from the unfiltered side to take the ADSL signals to the router.

I no longer trust the technical data / information that comes from some previously reliable suppliers.

which has the filtering to remove ADSL signals from the internal telephone wiring. Then use

and run one cable from the filtered side to the telehones around the house and a second cable from the unfiltered side to take the ADSL signals to the router.

So I'd need to run two cables to the slave socket

Also, is that the best/only cable to get maximum broadband speeds at the salve socket?

Alternatively, is there a way of moving that master socket to where the slave socket is? I don't need the master where it is but don't know whether that's possible?

So I'd need to run two cables to the slave socket

You run two cables from the new front plate of the master socket. One cable takes the filtered signal to the telephone sockets in the house. the second cable takes the un-filtered signal to the slave socket for the broadband router/modem.

The new front plate on the master will have two connectors, one has the telephone circuits, this is the filtered signal ( phone without ADSL ), the other connector has the un-filtered signal ( phone and ADSL ).

The router/modem uses the un-filtered signal and ignores the phone signals.
The phone has to have the ADSL signal removed to prevent the ADSL signals being heard.

As the ADSL ( broadband ) signals are designed to travel best along telephone cables ( CW1308 ) from the exchange ( or street cabinet ) to the house use that type of cable to connect the un-filtered signal from the front plate of the master to the secondary ( slave ) socket where the router will be located.

Use CW1308 for the telephone cables.

is there a way of moving that master socket to where the slave socket is? I don't need the master where it is but don't know whether that's possible?

The master socket is the property of BT/OpenReach and in theory only they can move it. You are allowed to change the front plate as it plugs into the back part of the master socket.

You could fit your own "master socket" at the required location and connect it's A and B terminals to the un-filtered signal terminals at the existing Master Socket front plate

You run two cables from the new front plate of the master socket. One cable takes the filtered signal to the telephone sockets in the house. the second cable takes the un-filtered signal to the slave socket for the broadband router/modem.

The new front plate on the master will have two connectors, one has the telephone circuits, this is the filtered signal ( phone without ADSL ), the other connector has the un-filtered signal ( phone and ADSL ).

The router/modem uses the un-filtered signal and ignores the phone signals.
The phone has to have the ADSL signal removed to prevent the ADSL signals being heard.

As the ADSL ( broadband ) signals are designed to travel best along telephone cables ( CW1308 ) from the exchange ( or street cabinet ) to the house use that type of cable to connect the un-filtered signal from the front plate of the master to the secondary ( slave ) socket where the router will be located.

Use CW1308 for the telephone cables.

Thanks very much. One last question. lol When wiring to the slave socket, do both wires connect into that, then I use a microfilter? Or do I need to seperate slaves, one for phone, one for broadband?

The master socket is the property of BT/OpenReach and in theory only they can move it. You are allowed to change the front plate as it plugs into the back part of the master socket.

You could fit your own "master socket" at the required location and connect it's A and B terminals to the un-filtered signal terminals at the existing Master Socket front plate

Does this offer any benefit? Faster broadband speeds for example?

Separate sockets.

The filter is in the new front plate and from there will be two separate circuits, one for phones ( without need for micro-filter at the phones ) and the other for the ADSL to the router/modem

Does this offer any benefit? Faster broadband speeds for example?

Separating the ADSL and telephone circuits at the master socket does in almost every case increase data rates.

In simple terms.... if some of the ADSL signal gets to a telephone socket where there is no router/modem to take the ADSL signal then some of that signal reflects back and reaches the router /modem as a delayed echo which affects the quality of the data decoded from the ADSL signal

So I’ve bought that socket and I assumed it just plugged into the front of the existing one. However it doesn’t. I’m a bit confused now. The current phone socket says Master Socket 5C. Is this compatible? :/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back