Can I tile on this wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've been all over the internet and cannot find the info I'm looking for.

I'm planning to re-tile my bathroom. I'm tearing some 6mm tiling which only comes to waist height around the bathroom.

The bathroom measures 2m x 2m approx 2.6H.

I've got some 250x330 8mm tile and was wondering if its possible to tile onto the partition walls.

I've scoured the internet and I think I've determined the type of wall to be metal lashe (sp?). Picture attached from drilling pipe holes.

I've removed someplugs from the walls which has caused some of the bonding plaster to come off too, but the rest of the plaster seems firm. Is there something I could use to fill the holes/depressions?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes looking at its metal lathe pathe framing..

The hole looks rather big with a cavity behind it..

IMO I would just look into over boarding the whole wall with a cement based board..then tile...this way you would be saving on a lot off hassle..

Thank you tictic

I was thinking of that option with aquapanel which I'm going to the use for the bathpanel. My only worry is finding the joists so that I can screw the panel into the wall and also loss of space to the bathroom.

Because there's a metal mesh my stud/screw finder is having trouble locating them.

But thanks for the tip.

The stud centres should be about 400mm apart so your first one will be in the corner,so come of there 400mm I would just gently knock some holes into the wall to locate them ...

As for loss off space.. with those tiles you can use a 6mm backerboards so your not losing to much diypanda..

Sponsored Links
Thanks again tictic. :)

Will the aquapanel 40mm screws be ok for screwing to the wall. Do I need to put adhesive behind the aquapanel so that it sticks to the old wall?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back