I'm confused about which tile adhesive to use...

apg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's clearly a huge amount of expertise here - as a tiling newbie (well, I've done small bits, but I'm about to tackle my first whole room), I'm lost in the world of tile adhesives and would really appreciate some pointers!

We're talking about a bathroom with solid walls & concrete floor.
The wall tiles are 250x330 ceramic; the floor tiles are 450x450 porcelain.

BAL seems to be widely recommended as a decent make; am I right in thinking that I need 'white star' for the walls? (ready-mixed seems like less hastle!).
For the floor, I frankly don't have a clue; they all seem to be powder that needs to be mixed, so I'll have to bight the bullet on that - but presumably best to avoid anything that sets too quickly, as a newbie? What would you guys/gals recommend?

Sponsored Links
Go with a,..single part flexiable powedered adhesive
Grout after 16hrs..weber/ardex/bal/mapei ...ect..

Just make sure you get your set out correct..around window/cuts into your internal corners..top off bath and at ceiling height and bottom course at floor...

thanks tictic - I appreciate the help!

I plan to grid the wall with a pencil, both to ensure I don't end up needing slivers of tile anywhwere, and to keep my tiling straight! Probably sounds silly, but I'm paranoid about my lines drifting off, so I reckon the extra hour or so up front will give me confidence....

Am I right in thinking that toilet and basin go on top of the tiles, but tiles should come down on top of the bath? So I need to leave the bath corner untiled until the suite is installed, and then do the last bit onto the bath?

Yes re:cistern/sink...leave off and tile..

Bath I would fit it..run a 2x2 treated batten along the wall for bath to sit on..
After you get the bath LEVEL and secured to wall..
Fill it with water/seal it leave over night...

Get your set out...then start tiling,leave a 2/3mm gap from top of bath to tiles..this will be sealed with silicone after all grouting done..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back