Can I use a Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,
Currently have a window on ground floor, under my staircase. That opens out into my garage. I want to replace the window with a door (standard 30") to gain access into the garage from inside the house. The wall itself is part of the main outside wall ( although intrnal) if you know what I mean.
Can I just use a concrete lintel? If so what size.
If not would I need to seek the advise of an SE??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What height is the head of the existing window? Its too thin or low presumably or maybe too high?

You will have to tell us what the wall is made from, its thickness, solid or cavity etc.

FMS, its a solid 9" brick wall & the height from the top of the window is 50" - so lower than the door that would replace it.

Assuming nothing out of the ordinary, you will probably get away with 2 n.o. 100*65mm concrete lintels (min 100mm end bearing) - but there are a number of factors that need to be considered and without specifics it's impossible to say for certain.

Technically this work also needs to be notified to LABC, and to meet BRegs you need to fit a fire door / ensure a step down (or fall away from the dwelling) into the garage etc amongst other things.

Sponsored Links
There is a step down already, but honestly now a days is that any use??
I dont know many ppl who use their single bay garage to store a car, mainly storage area, in my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back