Can I use a switched FCU as a switch for outdoor light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The supply to the outdoor light at the rear of my property is a spur from the ceiling rose in the living room run to a standard light switch and then to the light itself. The neutrals are joined with a connector behind the switch. No problems there but I'd like to have a means of isolating the light if anything goes wrong so I can work on it.

Is it allowable to just replace the light switch, at shoulder height, with a switched FCU (after replacing the 13A fuse with a 5A) and use that as the on/off switch instead? The FCU having proper terminals for all three core wires instead of the current nylon connector for the neutrals makes more sense to me.

Tis OK?

Ant

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can but its pointless to use an FCU with a 5amp fuse in it because the fuse for the lighting circuit will already be 5 or 6 amp.

If you want to switch both live and neutral you could simply use a double pole switch. It will look more like a light switch too.

OK, thank you, that does make more sense. I only asked to save me from having to buy anything new, I have a spare FCU.

Thanks anyway.

Ant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back