Can I use battens to put my my engineered floorboards on ?

I put down a layer of plastic sheeting under the ply to prevent moisture.
Hummm - simple but effective. Certainly not as expensive. Perhaps Ive been thinking about this too much. Have you done this before ?

Sponsored Links
Hummm - simple but effective. Certainly not as expensive. Perhaps Ive been thinking about this too much. Have you done this before ?

Only the once. I put down a solid wood floor in the entire downstairs of my house.
It was a concrete floor. I put a layer of PVC down to protect from moisture. I've heard of people putting two layers down.
Then a layer of Ply. I nailed that into the concrete. At this stage make sure its secure or it will introduce a bounce/squeak later.
The I nailed the planks onto the ply. It was tongue and groove. I used a spring loaded nail gun. Make sure you rent a good one, a bad one will bend lots of nails.
Every 5 rows I put a row of 5c coins between the planks. It was much much easier than I thought it was going to be :)

The most important things
  • Start somwhere sensible
    Start straight
    Good saw
    Good nailgun
    No bounce in ply
    Spacers at walls and between 5th rows

Only the once. I put down a solid wood floor in the entire downstairs of my house.
It was a concrete floor. I put a layer of PVC down to protect from moisture. I've heard of people putting two layers down.
Then a layer of Ply. I nailed that into the concrete. At this stage make sure its secure or it will introduce a bounce/squeak later.
The I nailed the planks onto the ply. It was tongue and groove. I used a spring loaded nail gun. Make sure you rent a good one, a bad one will bend lots of nails.
Every 5 rows I put a row of 5c coins between the planks. It was much much easier than I thought it was going to be :)

The most important things
  • Start somwhere sensible
    Start straight
    Good saw
    Good nailgun
    No bounce in ply
    Spacers at walls and between 5th rows

Advice very much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back