Can I use twinwall pipes for surface water drainage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some useless old 'soakaway's for all my downpipes - they are all just over 1.5m away from house and do very little to actually disperse the water effectively in this clay soil. My intention is to connect to old (disused and empty) cesspit down the back garden which is approx 20m away. I will have my downpipes connect to brown 110mm pipe which will then connect to twinwall piping that I already have. No point in shelling out for 110mm pipe all the way down if I have the twinwall stuff already. But can I use the twinwall piping as per build regs? I'd look up the regs if the website wasn't down again!! (Need to order my 110mm pipe before I go to work).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
How can you use a cesspit as a soakaway? In clay soil!

I've attached the static drainage up to the cesspit, and it certainly does not retain the water. Eventually i will waterproof it so I can do some harvesting.

So can I use twinwall piping?

Yes you can use twin wall if you want to. Is it being inspected? Most twin wall is perforated these days and they call it land drain. Take it yours isn't perform and you are using it as a carrier only like the orange.

Yes you can use twin wall if you want to. Is it being inspected? Most twin wall is perforated these days and they call it land drain. Take it yours isn't perform and you are using it as a carrier only like the orange.

Well, I had it lying around, so may as well use it rather than getting 20m or so of 110mm pipe. The twinwall is indeed non-perforated.

It's part of my extension and new roof, so I guess they may come out to inspect this. I've dug the trench down to 500mm and was going to lay the pipe on 100mm sand. I've checked document H, but can't find much on drainage pipe depths, bedding material etc. Anyone know?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back