Can I wallpaper over.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to decorating really. Basically we had some sort of textured wallpaper up. I have stripped off the 'top layer' by hand with out needing a steamer or to wet the wall. It's taken all the top part of the paper off but left a thin layer of paper still on the wall which would need a steamer/sponge to get off the wall. I think it was all just one wallpaper and not two separate wallpapers but I may be wrong. Anyway, I was just wondering if I have to spend time taking this layer off, or whether I could just stick my new paper up on top of it?? (We are just putting up a lining paper and painting it). Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
That is a lining/backing paper, depends on the condition since you stripped the top layer off, I have found painting over it, the original pattern sometimes shows through,
You could give one wall a try and see if it works. Then you wouldnt have to worry about relining.

As I work for other people I would strip it back using a steam stripper, these are quite cheap from DIY outlets these days (and can be used for other purposes, defrosting frigs, freezers etc so they do pay for themselves £25.00)
Reline the walls and emulsion.
5016501003360_001c_v001_zp

They aren't much use for stripping though. roller is far superior.

Never had any trouble with steam wallpaper stripper, its using whatever tool one is comfortable using. I personally do not get on with rollers.

Sponsored Links
Take it off. Just dampen, allow to soak in and strip with wide stripping blade, comes off really easily.

Stick lining paper to backing paper and you are asking for trouble.

A tin of this should be a great help as well.

448_elbow_grease.gif

Never had any trouble with steam wallpaper stripper, its using whatever tool one is comfortable using. I personally do not get on with rollers.

I put mine in the skip. They only deliver hot water. Steam is a gas and won't remove anything.

I put mine in the skip. They only deliver hot water. Steam is a gas and won't remove anything.

Use whatever "Floats your boat" I just added a few advantages with using a "cheapo" steam stripper, i.e. defrosting frigs and freezers, degreasing cookers, cleaning upholstery/fabrics and carpets etc.
You cant do that with a roller.

They promise to do those things. They are useless in reality.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back