Wallpaper removal, is this a paper layer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Removing wallpaper from a plastered wall, the paper seems to be coming off nice and easy with a steamer. However I'm not sure if there is actually one layer left behind or not.

https://imgur.com/a/yLP0I

From the photo you can clearly see plaster in the middle, on top of this is an extremely thin layer which is very brittle in places. It doesn't exist in all locations on the wall and when this layer is not present it is not stuck to the back of the paper which was removed.

What is this layer and should I be attempting to remove it?

Sponsored Links
Looks like old emulsion to me - Be VERY careful with steamers - it's easy to blow the plaster ( I've been there(n)) Chucked the steamer and use Zinsser Dif now

Thanks for this. It does make sense that it was painted on as it's less than 1mm thick. Also acknowledged the note regarding the steamer.

Sponsored Links
It does indeed look like paint.

Nige F is correct about steam strippers potentially blowing plaster but looking at your picture, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Yours looks like the crumbly old "horse hair" plaster which is fine with steam. The big problem is newer skim coats which will blow if you apply too much steam. You will normally hear a cracking noise that will alert you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back