can i wire a new fused spur wired from existing fused spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking to install an automatic humidity fan in the kitchen as excessive condensation is a problem.

The only location for the fan I can have does not have a readily available local power supply. the nearest point is the washing machine fused spur which is wired on the ring main - can I spur off a fused spur so like drawing attached

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Which terminals on the existing FS would you connect the new wiring to?

If on the load side, then you will have two 13A fuses in series.

If on the ring side then you aren't spurring off the spur, you're just connecting to the ring.

Personally, I would fit another double pole switched fused spur on the ring, adjacent the washing machine one, and fuse it down to whatever the fan MI requires. Then you have a means of isolation for the fan also.

If on the ring side then you aren't spurring off the spur, you're just connecting to the ring.
Yes, but with a common ('unfused') cable feeding them from the ring (if it is a ring), which would not be compliant with regulations. Edit: ignore all that - I misread the OP and thought that the existing FCU was a spur, not part of the ring :oops:

Kind Regards, John

Can you elaborate john, is a spur on the ring any different to a socket on the ring
Hence why cant a spur come off it

Sponsored Links
Can you elaborate john, is a spur on the ring any different to a socket on the ring ... Hence why cant a spur come off it
Apologies - I didn't read the OP properly :oops: Yes, if (as is the case) the existing FCU is part of the ring, then what you say is correct. I was thinking that the existing FCU was on a spur - in which case a second FCU (or socket) taken off its supply-side terminals would have represented a non-compliant "second thing" supplied by an unfused spur.

Kind Regards, John

You had me going then, even the regs book app 15 dont show a fcu on the ring feeding another one fom the supply side

You had me going then, even the regs book app 15 dont show a fcu on the ring feeding another one fom the supply side
Indeed. Mind you, those who appear to be somewhat obsessed by what is, and is not, shown in the 'example' diagrams in App 15 might take that to mean that one cannot spur off an FCU (which is on the ring) :) Apologies again for having confused the issue!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back