extractor fan: can this be wired without the fused spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

my electrician has simply left me with a switch on the wall, wired to the hole where the extractor is to go. there is no fused spur. the switch will operate the fan only as there is another switch for the lights.

is there a fan i can buy which does not require a fused spur, so that i can simply wire this extractor to the power which leads from the switch? if so, what is this called?

alternatively, i have already bought an extractor which says it requires a 3Amp fused spur. Is there any way this can be wired in without having to add the spur?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
sounds like your electrician has left you with a fan isolator switch (which is normal)

if you saw a notice on an over head line that said Danger of Death 25,000 volts would you climb up to touch it to see if it was true?

no?

well why do you want to ignore the manufactures saftey instructions?

What are you getting at, Breezer?

Most fans can be wired directly from a 5/6A lighting circuit with no further protection required, apart from an all-pole isolator.

I suggest the OP phones the manufacturer to explain what the electrician has left and see if the fan can be wired without fusing down to 3A or not.

If Sarah asks her electrician, or buys a multimeter, she can find out if the fan supply comes from a lighting circuit or the ring. That will make a big difference.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
What are you getting at, Breezer?
I am saying if fan maker says fcu then it should have an fcu, (dont ignore saftey instructions)

I also said it sounds like electrician has left a fn isolator which is normal.

the op seems to want no switch (T P F I) or fcu

the wiring for the fan comes off the lights circuit. the switch is not a special fan isolator switch. the switch designated to the fan is the same as any ordinary light switch.

that switch will turn the fan on or off, when required, so my problem is finding a fan that is suitable to run off such normal "lighting style" switch, or seeing if the fan i have can be wired differently other than via an additional spur. can anyone help?

the installation is in the bathroom, and the switch is outside the room. the fan is about 4 metres away from the shower part of the room, on the external wall.

the fan i have is just a cheap one from b and q. i can swap it if i need to. the one i have is therefore a "marley" standard model. the only codes i could find are:

LP100, LP120, T max 40deg rated 220-240v, ~50hz 20W IP24.

many thanks for all your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back