Can I wire an induction hob onto the same circuit as a cooker.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was going to just get a 13amp plug version of the hob and plug it in to be safe, but then I've been told that apparently you can only really use one hob because of the power sharing function. So then I'm back to hard wiring.

I have a Bosch double oven (HBN13B251B) on it's own 32amp circuit.
Oven is about 12m from consumer unit.

Would it be safe to connect a hob such as this one to the same isolator switch, or would I need a new circuit for the hob? (I don't have the option of rewiring at this point)
http://ao.com/product/pie651bb1e-bosch-serie-4-induction-hob-black-44838-39.aspx

Appliances always quote kw and not amps so I've no idea how much I can actually have.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The link you gave has this information
Electrical Connection 7.4 KW
Fuse Rating 32 amps
I think that answers your question. You could apply diversity and accept that you are unlikely to run the oven and the hob on full at the same time but then think of cooking for a Christmas dinner when you might do exactly that.

Yeah, that was my worry. This Christmas we had 4 gas hobs and 2 ovens on at once but every other day of the year we only use 2 hobs and one oven.

Christmas is irrelevant.

Both items may be connected to the same circuit assuming it is a standard cooker circuit.

However, tests should be carried out to ensure everything is satisfactory.

Sponsored Links
No problem, if you did over load worse case is the trip goes, but that is unlikely.

However I would warn against touch controls, an induction hob is very like a gas hob, no need to remove the pan when it starts to boil over simply switch it off, however the time it takes to use a touch control means you can't, so you spoil a really good hob, by having touch controls, simple knobs are far better.

The link you gave has this information
Electrical Connection 7.4 KW
Fuse Rating 32 amps
I think that answers your question. You could apply diversity and accept that you are unlikely to run the oven and the hob on full at the same time but then think of cooking for a Christmas dinner when you might do exactly that.
Please put forward a reasoned explanation of why a separate hob and oven should be treated differently to a freestanding cooker.

Please put forward a reasoned explanation of why a separate hob and oven should be treated differently to a freestanding cooker.
I was suggesting that a hob that has a maximum load of 7.4kw plus a double oven could at times far exceed to load that a 32a breaker can safely take. AFAIK a freestanding cooker does not have such a high demand.

upload_2017-3-24_18-21-32.png

I was suggesting that a hob that has a maximum load of 7.4kw plus a double oven could at times far exceed to load that a 32a breaker can safely take. AFAIK a freestanding cooker does not have such a high demand.
The OSG says that a 30 or 32A circuit is usually appropriate for household or similar cookers of up to 15kW.

The OSG says that a 30 or 32A circuit is usually appropriate for household or similar cookers of up to 15kW.
I'd accept that as the total load here is 12.3kw. (The double oven is lower powered that I expected). But the advice below is also essential
However, tests should be carried out to ensure everything is satisfactory.

No, it doesn't.

Time you went back to college, or perhaps you never went!

Power (for a purely resistive circuit) = volts x amps.

Therefore amps = power/volts.

As I said:

Amps equals kW divided by volts (240) for a purely resistive circuit. Actually it is watts/volts, so perhaps that is what you meant.

So perhaps it is you who should go back to college and see if you can find a course which will explain to you the difference between 1 and 1000.

Oh - and it's only 240, BTW, if that is the voltage at which the appliance consumption is quoted. If it says that it's 4kW at 220V then you have to divide by 220, not 240.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back