Can I wire my Nest thermostat to the Heat Link?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought Nest Gen 2 a few years ago. Didn’t realise the thermostat connects to heat link via mesh, and so they have to be close. Our boiler is upstairs, but for obvious reasons the thermostat has to be downstairs.

Many times we’ve woken up to a cold house because the thermostat lost connection to the Heat Link. I am heartily sick of getting up in the cold to fiddle with the thermostat while wishing I had a simple wired thermostat that just works.

No doubt there are reasons why the connection keeps dropping - too much distance from the heat link, or maybe other devices interfering. But I’m not about to change everything else to accommodate a needy thermostat.

Is it possible to hard-wire a G2 nest thermostat to the heat link, and would that be the end of my connection problems? Otherwise this is going on eBay and I’m getting an old fashioned thermostat that works 100% of the time.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can hard wire a nest to the heat link. That addresses the connection problems.

You cant hard wire the thermostat to the heat link, try using good quality Alkaline batteries, if you are still having problems you will have to move the heatlink if you dont want to move the thermostat, the thermostat being downstairs and the heatlink upstairs should not be a problem

Sponsored Links
No you cant
Yes you can. Mine is. The 12v feed from the heat link to the nest also does the comms and allows you to split the nest and the heatlink by more than 30m.

You cant hard wire the thermostat to the heat link, try using good quality Alkaline batteries, if you are still having problems you will have to move the heatlink if you dont want to move the thermostat, the thermostat being downstairs and the heatlink upstairs should not be a problem
Yes you can, that's what the T1 & T2 terminals are for

Screenshot_20200130_144411.jpg

You can tell in the app if your using wireless or wired or both (mines a bit iffy on the wireless)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back