2nd Generation Nest Heat Link to Baxi Duo-Tec 28 HE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi new to this forum and seen some good detailed posts on commissioning my Nest Heat link/thermostat.

I have carried out the following.

1. Removed existing link cable in Boilers terminal block - see attached picture
2. Installed and wired the Heat link to the mains (240v) and connected terminal points 2, 3 to the link cable i have removed in point 1
3. i installed and connected the thermostat and everything looks good.
4. if i modify the temperature either directly on the fixed NEST thermostat or via the linked smart phone i hear and see the Heat link click/flash
5. i assume this is the device recognising it should send a signal to the boiler an fire it up, it doesn't
6. if i put the link cable back in - ie disabling the NEST the boiler fires up fine.
7. After investigation i found that the existing setup had a 24 Hour Programmable Room Thermostat single channel connected (see attached).
8. again after researching the internet this is a primitive connection (RF/wireless) thermostat which has a receiving device connected to the boiler.
9. i made the assumption that this thermostat may overide and stop the NEST working therefore i removed the connecting cable from the fitted RF device to the system motherboard and removed batteries from thermostat,
10. i reconnected the nest and tried changing the temperature, again the Heat link reacted and i heard it click and the LEDs show that it was heating, but the boiler did not fire up.

Is there anything iam doing wrong or a way to test further.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• BOILER CONNECTIONS TO NEST HEAT LINK.png
    BOILER CONNECTIONS TO NEST HEAT LINK.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 224
  • Programmable 24 hr Wireless Room Thermostat.jpg
    Programmable 24 hr Wireless Room Thermostat.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 227
Sponsored Links
Please post photo’s of boiler wiring, nest wiring and boiler front panel.

Hi

Thank you for your reply.
Attached pictures as requested.
i have also checked with my neighbours boiler (same model) and attached the picture MY BOILER which shows there boiler with no programable thermostat.

if i replicate this with my boiler ie put connectors back as in my picture would the HEAT LINK work.( removing RF/wireless thermostat)

It would make common sense i guess as i previously had two thermostats in situe.

thank you in advance.

Attachments

• BOILER FRON PANNEL.jpg
    BOILER FRON PANNEL.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 257
  • MY BOILER.jpg
    MY BOILER.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 222
  • NEST CONNECTIONS.png
    NEST CONNECTIONS.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 228
  • BOILER CONNECTIONS TO HEAT LINK.jpg
    BOILER CONNECTIONS TO HEAT LINK.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 235
Sponsored Links
2 thermostats , was that one upstairs and one downstairs ?

I think it’s possibly more of a case of the old one was left in as well as the new one?

Not sure if this is relevant or why it will not work, on the photo at boiler it appears that the earth wire is being used as a neutral, yet nest end shows neutral wire and earth wire?

HI

Yes i dont the power issue is the problem, i acknowledge that the installer has used the earth as a neutral.

So basically the call to heat is not working from the NEST heat link - they have used 1.5 flat twin and earth , solid cable rather than strand, would that cause an issue.

is there any further tests i can carry out ?

And yes the old RF receiver was left in, i have removed it and re linked the blacks and isolated the Neutral and live, still no joy.

You could try disconnecting the wires that were for the old receiver, if that doesn’t work, maybe place a link on two switching ports on Nest, if it fires up, probably a faulty nest?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back