can I

Sponsored Links
Stat continuity or open circuit - Yes,
Element continuity - yes, permanent dead short to earth -yes, insulation breaking down intermittently- no.
Is it not heating or tripping the rcd?
If it is not heating then you should be able to establish the problem with a multimeter.

Yes, turn the local switch off and check there is no power using a multimeter.
With the power off set the meter to continuity and see if you have got a circuit across the stat , if water is cold you should have a closed circuit, if its ok check the resistance across the element ,you should get a reading of between 15 and 20 ohms ,depending on your element.Your thermostat may have a cut out on it also to prevent the cylinder boiling if the stat fails and this may just require resetting.
If you are in any doubt about any of this do not even attempt it!

Sponsored Links
Yes, turn the local switch off and check there is no power using a multimeter.
With the power off set the meter to continuity and see if you have got a circuit across the stat , if water is cold you should have a closed circuit, if its ok check the resistance across the element ,you should get a reading of between 15 and 20 ohms ,depending on your element.Your thermostat may have a cut out on it also to prevent the cylinder boiling if the stat fails and this may just require resetting.
If you are in any doubt about any of this do not even attempt it!

How would you know that there was voltage at the element to begin with, as you have not mentioned it in you step by step guide. Also you have failed to comment on the possibility of break down of the element. Please explain how you would establish this using your low reading continuity tester if the resistance wasn't low enough to create a dead short but may cause the RCD to operate!

Starspark1, please read jj4091's post!

Harbourwoodwork you can carry out a few tests with a multi meter but not all! Please comment on the symptoms and we can guide you through it!

actually element was not connected ,i changed the cylinder and had spare stat and element and wondered if it was still OK after all the banging about

Vibro,

It wasnt meant to be a step by step guide it was a brief overview of what could be achieved with a multimeter.
I presumed that the op had already tested for power as he only asked about testing element and stat not voltage.
Also if the RCD was to operate i think that would point to the fact that the element was faulty providing it didnt trip until the immersion was energized.

Just fit it and wire it up and see ;)

The only tests you can do at this point is measure the element resistance or check to see if you have a dead short between the element and it's body. Unless you have access to an insulation resistance tester.

Vibro,

It wasnt meant to be a step by step guide it was a brief overview of what could be achieved with a multimeter.
No you said yes that the op could test an element with a multi meter, when really they can only test certain things not all!
I presumed that the op had already tested for power as he only asked about testing element and stat not voltage.
Was not obvious in the op. Could quite easily have been no voltage to the element could it not. You should not assume that it has been tested when not specified.
Also if the RCD was to operate i think that would point to the fact that the element was faulty providing it didnt trip until the immersion was energized.
Not entirely true starspark1. Surely the RCD could trip for other reasons when the immersion is drawing a bit of current, wouldn't you say!

Vibro,

Unfortunately i feel you are trying to bait me which is a shame to be honest considering i thought we worked things out. clearly the op was happy with my contribution and did not find it confusing/wrong or anyhthing else your trying to imply.

I refuse to be drawn into your games and trying to be pedantic so lets just leave it there shall we.

Vibro,

Unfortunately i feel you are trying to bait me which is a shame to be honest considering i thought we worked things out. clearly the op was happy with my contribution and did not find it confusing/wrong or anyhthing else your trying to imply.

I refuse to be drawn into your games and trying to be pedantic so lets just leave it there shall we.

Starspark1, don't think that I am "baiting" you, I am simply trying to have a discussion regarding the info that you have provided. Don't take it personally! So do you now agree that all the tests on an element can not be done using a low reading continuity meter? Do you also agree that the info regarding the RCD tripping may not be down to just a faulty element? And finally, do you agree that it is viable that reading the op that there may not be voltage at the element, meaning that this should be checked?

As said, it's not an attack it is simply me questioning your posts, that's all! Don't be offended as that is not my intention!

If you don't like people commenting on your post's then either get all the info in or give out the correct info! If you give incorrect info be prepared to be pulled up on it! I don't understand why you take it personally. Why don't you just agree that sometimes you are wrong and move on. It's all a bit childish really.

popcorn.gif

Because your the only one who seems to be pedantic and funnily enough it seems to always be aimed in this direction i dont believe it is coincidence that every time you seem to reply to my posts within twenty minutes of me posting!! Are you sitting waiting to pounce or something?? I should be flattered really.

I agree sometimes i am wrong as we all are.
Technically you could argue i was wrong through choice of words E.G. yes a multimeter can be used although not for every test i was just stating what he could do with the multimeter however you were being pedantic trying to bait me.

The testing of voltage before was a presumption that he had done it as at no point did he mention that. therefore i presumed. And he later stated that was not needed as he had changed the cylinder itself and the stat and element were spare and not fitted/wired up therefore i presumed correct. Would you not agree?

Also i said the RCD would point to a faulty element. Not definitely. Just pointing to that??
Two can play your game Vibro I can also be and use wordplay if you want it that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back