heating element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a suspision that the heating element is not working in my candy dishwasher i have removed it from the machine but before i buy a new one i was wondering if there are any tests i could do on it to prove it is faulty i have a multi meter but not sure what i am looking for

Sponsored Links
If you set you multimeter to the ohms setting you should get a reading between the two ends of the element.

What is the rating in watts or kW's of the element? (should be stamped somewhere on the body of the element)

From this we can give you a rough idea of the ohms reaging you should expect to get.

Also you should test between the element body and each end of the element in turn, to check for a fault to earth. You should not get any reading on your meter when doing these tests.

thanks for the advise the only markings on the element are 230v and 1950w but surely that is not the wattage also i have a meter reading of 26.3 ohms

Sponsored Links
1950W is the rating of the element in watts (Near enough 2kW which sounds normal for a dishwasher)

I work out the resistance to 27.1 ohms, so your reading sounds near enough to me.

I suspect the element is OK.

ok thanks for that, any idea`s why the water would not warm up if it`s not the element

rich100 said:
ok thanks for that, any idea`s why the water would not warm up if it`s not the element

The controller that turns the heater on and off has possibly failed.

Were the leads to the heater in good condition and not damaged ? If the cable loom has become loose it may have been rubbing on a moving part.

i`ve checked all the wiring visually and everything seems in tact, thanks

Could be a door switch hidden someone or even another type of switch that needs pressure or contact.I had the same trouble with a Deep fat fryer tonight it was one of those micro switches that needed to be closed before the element heated up

johnnyjb said:
Could be a door switch hidden someone or even another type of switch that needs pressure or contact.I had the same trouble with a Deep fat fryer tonight it was one of those micro switches that needed to be closed before the element heated up

surely if this was the case the machine would not cycle either, which is not a problem. just got cold water constantly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back