Can incorrect balancing cause Boiler Kettling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question on Radiator Balancing. Can balancing radiators cause a boiler to kettle if the flow is restricted through each radiator by too much?

Additionally if a bypass valve is closed by too much can casue the same effect. My understanding is that if a bypass is open by too much then the boiler return will be heated more quickly, therefore the boiler will cycle more?

Is my understanding correct?

Sponsored Links
Kind of.

But you dont seem to understand that the bypass is required to maintain a minimum flow through a boiler toprevent kettlying.

Telling us the boiler model would enable more detailed advice.

Tony Glazier

Potterton Suprima 40L
Manual Bypass open 1/4 turn
Pump Set to 2
9 radiators, 3 bedroom radiators with TRV's

Agile thanks for the initial info. Can you explain why minimal flow is not maintained under more operation. I would assume it would since I only have 3 radaitors that will shutdown under normal operation. I assumed that the bypass was mainly required for overrun.

Still trying to understand how much flow should be allowed through the bypass. I have also noticed that when HW is being heated as well as radiators the kettling is much reduced. Can anyone provide anymore info on this problem?

Sponsored Links
Because you cannot measure flow rates in your heating its necessary to get an idea of the flow rate from the temperatures.

Your boiler is designed for a MAXIMUM temperature differential of 11 C across the heat exchanger. You can reduce that if too high by opening the fixed bypass.

Ideally you should have an auto bypass but with so few TRVs that should not be very important if you dont turn too many radiators off.

If its caused by lime scale then adding X200 can often reduce kettling.

Tony

Agile from what you have said, i need to configure the bypass so that the differential between flow and return at the boiler is 11 degrees. what method should I follow to do this. ie all radaitors open, some closed, post balancing or after balancing?

All radiators without TRVs are always left on, as rooms that may not be used are the rooms with TRVs. What ABV still be worth while. Was considering installing once if I drain the system in the future.

I have added X200 which did not have an effect on the kettling, the reason I considered it may have been due to something else

Setting the bypass should be done in a typical useage configuration.

Ideally you should have an auto bypass but in your system its not really going to make much difference.

I suppose the starting position would be to measure the flow/return temps at the boiler so you know what you are dealing with.

Then you can balance your system if thats needed. All of these things are interdependent.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back