Can insulation boards be handled repeatedly without falling apart?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering whether solid insulation board could be cut to fit into a window and then removed and replaced every day (to insulate a window overnight) or would it fall apart after a few weeks/months from being handled so often? I realise they're only intended to be put somewhere and then left alone forevermore. I figure a thick insulation board would surely do a better job at insulating a window than some thick curtains, provided it didn't fall apart first.

Sponsored Links
No, but you could make a more durable panel by skinning it with thin ply, and perhaps battens round the edges.

You'd also need some kind of handles and a fixing or hook to hold it in place af the windows.

Maybe do as above and use the finished product to make some hinged internal shutters.

Sponsored Links
I was wondering whether solid insulation board could be cut to fit into a window and then removed and replaced every day (to insulate a window overnight) or would it fall apart after a few weeks/months from being handled so often? I realise they're only intended to be put somewhere and then left alone forevermore. I figure a thick insulation board would surely do a better job at insulating a window than some thick curtains, provided it didn't fall apart first.
it would last ages if you use gaffa tape around the edges

you might want to stick on some handles otherwise you will damage the edges trying out get it out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back