Can my chimney breast be removed? I'm about to give up hope!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK- 1930's kitchen has a concrete lintel spanning over a cooker and supported at each end on peninsular walls. It supports a chimney breast above, about two feet being visible vertically. I want to remove all this to knock through to the next room, keeping the breast in the bedroom above. I have joists at right angles to the breast/wall to be removed on one side, and in parallel to the breast/wall on the other side of the wall. My question is, can Strongboy supports go in on just one side of the breast to support it if it is 450mm deep, as a joist is in the way on the other side- almost flush to the breast? Or is there another solution? I can't support through upstairs walls for various reasons too boring to mention (not that this isn't boring enough already, I'm sure). I ask only as the SE plans needs redoing (more money!) after the builders came and said a ceiling void beam wasn't really practicable, unless I wanted to pay squillions, and I want to make sure the new 'visible' beam design is actually technically possible this time. Wake up! It's really interesting!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back