Can my water supplier test the flow rate at the meter?

Indeed anyway biggest pipe you can, all the way back to the point it Tees off the main, or as close as you can get.
When I was replacing ours I was flushing out the blue pipe with nothing connected, and even with low pressure there was an awful lot of water there. So if you go up another size to 32mm it will help a lot with even lower pressure. Or even 50mm if you like, pipe isn't expressive.
Another thought is why not call the supplier and ask for help? Or dig their bit up and replace it:sneaky:

Sponsored Links
Another thought is why not call the supplier and ask for help? Or dig their bit up and replace it:sneaky:

Ultimately this is exactly what I've done. They're coming tomorrow and hopefully can confirm the flow rate at my meter (before any of my pipework). If it's crap there I'll try to convince them to replace their section of pipe.
They're running a pressure of 1.7 bar but with a flow of only 8l/min it seems like the supply pipe may be pinched down to only a few mm somewhere - I only have to open my tap about 10% to get the maximum flow.

Quick update on this.

Had the water supplier round this morning. His flow cup measured 10l/min at the kitchen tap. I measured 16 seconds to fill a 2 litre bottle (= 7.5l/min) but he seemed to think his cup was more accurate (!).

Did the same test with a pipe connected in place of the meter... 17l/min using his flow cup. Pressure was exactly the same (as expected). Looks like I'll be digging up the front path at some point in the future :cry:

This afternoon another neighbour came up to me and reported that his flow rate was crap (he'd seen the van from the water company and wanted to share). He's thinking about installing a boost pump in his main.

Great news, so that means your bigger pipe will get the flow you need!
You could do the same as your neighbour, but you'd have to get the water into a break tank first as you can't pump from the mains, otherwise you'd get the contents of all the non wras approved modifications people have made in the local area in your drinking water!:sick:

Sponsored Links
I woudl expect your bottle will be more accurate.

Perhaps his cup is calibrated to keep customers happy?

You can pump from the mains, but only at a maximum of 12 li/min.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back