Can of worms?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I fancy sticking another rad in - we have extended our living room into our old dining room, and have one piddly rad supplying both - so, what are peoples preferences to make life as easy as possible to fit ?

Bung? Drain down or freeze ?

There is a rad just on the other side of the wall which is fed straight off the manifold (?) I'd look to just extend the pipework through the internal wall to the new rad.

I am thinking that the draining down option, flushing out, treating and sorting any leaks at the same time is the more professional approach, but I'm on a tight budget - got bathroom to finish, kitchen to rip out and whole house to give a fresh lick of paint to. To do the full monty I'd need to pay someone :(

I've also never done this before, but am competent (so far) and do my research, but that is never a replacement for experience or if I encounter a problem...

Sponsored Links
im guessing the other rad is fed with 10mm pipe , of which is not advisable to tee off.

im guessing the other rad is fed with 10mm pipe , of which is not advisable to tee off.

15mm copper with a drain cock - 1 of 3 downstairs, so would shift it along to the new rad if needed.

Sponsored Links
if you have not done it before, draining is safer than bunging.

you can run X400 or something for a couple of weeks preceding the drain, this will loosen sediment so you will get an extra advantage from your draining. it will not be as effective as a powerflush but will do some good and only cost you £15 or so. remember to refill using inhibitor in the final fill after you have tested for leaks and correct operation of your new rad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back