Can one electricians work be tested and signed by another's?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my situation; my builder and electrician who did the work on my big extension have fallen out and since the electrician refuses to talk or communicate to my builder ion any way.

The electrician who did my work was/is PART P certified and was with NAPIT. Also at the time my electrician was self employed, but in now working for a big company.

Can one of my builders other electricians do the final testing and sign off the work so I can get my certificate.

Also where do I stand on this?

Regards: Elliott

Sponsored Links
Who is your contract with?

Who are you paying for the work?

The builder?

Or are you paying all the trades individually?

The contract is with the builder, although the builder is self employed and does not have a company. VAT registered, unsure?

The payments were made to my main builder, although we ended up regrettably buying certain stuff for the electrician due to breakdown in communication between him and the builder. (Electrician was not paid by builder on time.)

Most of the payment for the build were done to the builder him self, although cash has been used here and there.

We also have not yet had out final and last inspection from the council inspector for the extension as a whole.

Have you asked your builder what he proposes to do to get you out of the poo?

Sponsored Links
He says he will get his is other electrician in to finish it off.

We still need:

1) The CU to be tidied up and the upstairs sockets put on their own MCB.
2) The final testing to be done.
3) For it to be signed off so we can get our electrical certificate, what I believe we need for the main build certificate.

What I want to know is what the builder proposes, can it legally be done?
I have also heard that only the same builder or the LABC can sign it off; Is this true?

He says he will get his is other electrician in to finish it off. ... What I want to know is what the builder proposes, can it legally be done? I have also heard that only the same builder or the LABC can sign it off; Is this true?
Theoretically, what you say probably is true. However, I think the practical/pragmatic answer is that if the electrician who finishes off the work is prepared to 'sign off' the whole job, then LABC will be happy ('none the wiser'), even if the electrician has technically 'lied' in the declaration he has signed (by saying that he has done all of the design and installation).

Is it not pretty common when a 'firm of electricians' is involved that several individuals actually do parts of the job, but only one of them 'signs it off'? Since both of the electricians concerned were part of the workforce supplied by your builder, it doesn't seem that much different.

Kind Regards, John

Theoretically, what you say probably is true. However, I think the practical/pragmatic answer is that if the electrician who finishes off the work is prepared to 'sign off' the whole job, then LABC will be happy ('none the wiser'), even if the electrician has technically 'lied' in the declaration he has signed (by saying that he has done all of the design and installation).
Of course in this case wasn't the original electrician a member of NAPIT - and if the new electrician is also a member of a competent persons scheme then if he does sign off all three elements of the EIC he has lied to his scheme and not to the LABC.
When I was a member of NAPIT, I was told I had two options in this scenario. Either complete the EIC but only sign off on the testing - or complete a PIR (EICR).

Of course in this case wasn't the original electrician a member of NAPIT - and if the new electrician is also a member of a competent persons scheme then if he does sign off all three elements of the EIC he has lied to his scheme and not to the LABC.
Yes, that's true, but the lie (unless detected and 'blocked' by NAPIT, which it wouldn't be) then propagates to 'misleading' the LABC as well.
When I was a member of NAPIT, I was told I had two options in this scenario. Either complete the EIC but only sign off on the testing - or complete a PIR (EICR).
That makes sense in terms of 'correctness', but what then 'happens next' - will NAPIT then send a Compliance Certificate to the LABC, despite not having received a fully-completed EIC?

.. and what of the more general situation I described, when multiple people have been involved in the work - does not just one of them sign off each of the bits of the EIC (maybe different people for different bits), even if more than one person has been involved in one or more of the bits?

Kind Regards, John

All these concerns lie with the builder - it is down to him to sort it all out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back